The rise of the audiobook

Books have never sounded better, and they’re here to stay

Literature has been declared dead many times. From renowned critics such as Walter Benjamin decrying the death of the novel, to John Barth declaring that modernism had been exhausted, to a general societal conviction that books are increasingly less important, the literature industry as a whole has faced many perceived crises.

Like most industries, however, it has always found a way to adapt. In 2007, with the high street dying and books struggling to keep up with film, television, and video games, we saw the Kindle, the product that initiated the mainstream integration of the e-book.

Fast forward ten years and e-books find themselves in a similar position to that of the high street bookshop. Sales in 2017 were down by a staggering 17 per cent with most publishers refusing to even publish specific sales figures.

The main beneficiary of this, it would seem, is the audiobook, which has been the fastest growing sector of the publishing industry for the past four years. Just as the Kindle was the catalyst for the success of the e-book, the audiobook has its own intermediary platform — Audible, Amazon’s online platform for e-books.

Two factors have contributed to the rise of the audiobook.

The first and simplest is Audible itself. Audible, who claimed that its customers had listened to a record-breaking one billion hours in 2017, propelled audiobooks from the cassette tape to the mp3. Backed by the financial power of Amazon and the abilities of modern smartphones, Audible allows you to get almost any book, any time, anywhere.

photo:Wikimedia

photo:Wikimedia

The second is a more widespread millennial concern: screen fatigue.

With screens a professional necessity and a leisure time prerequisite, modern consumers are drawn to the sonic solace of audiobooks and an experience that rests the weary eyes whilst also scratching the same literary itch.

Audiobooks also provide other benefits. Polyphonic works, for example, such as David Mitchell’s The Bone Clocks are enhanced by multiple narrators for multiple characters, while the contemplative reveries of Donna Tartt’s The Goldfinch are granted gravitas by the evenly paced narrative perambulation of David Pittu.

One of the audiobooks’ main appeals is that unlike a book it does not demand one’s complete concentration. One can alleviate the tedium of everyday tasks such as cooking, driving, travelling, exercising, or manual labour. The fact that one can use Audible to bookmark individual moments makes it a valid option for studying, too.

There are certain cases, however, where the audiobook format is not as practical. David Foster-Wallace’s Infinite Jest, with its plethora of lengthy footnotes is one such case, and post-modernist works which use the physical layout of the page to convey meaning or comment on written convention are also unwieldy in an Audible format.

photo:Wikimedia

photo:Wikimedia

The inherently interpretative figure of the narrator is also a potential drawback. The written form allows more subjectivity in interpretation of literature, but the narrator’s and producer’s decisions in how a book is read can shape the meaning of it outside of the consumer’s control.

Nonetheless, for me at least, the audiobook provides a more pleasant way of consuming literature, reconciling reading for relaxation and reading as a genuinely worthwhile, thought-provoking pursuit.

The main question, however, is whether this dramatic growth is just that — growth — or whether the audiobook can endure the test of time and provide a genuine outlet for the industry.

Trends in technology suggest the answer is yes. Much of modern technology, from computing to architecture, is focused on compression: on making more fit into less.

Books take up a lot of space. Some might argue an impractical amount. The e-book was the first step towards remedying this in that it condensed multiple books into one device, and yet even that was limited to A5 dimensions.

The audiobook is the next natural step in this progression, allowing for physical compression down to the size of an Ipod Shuffle — or as small as any device that can store data and remain useable; sizes at which written text would be impractical, as suggested by the modest sales of the Kindle Fire.

I’m not saying that audiobooks will kill the written book. Quite the opposite. By providing a viable alternative to the way that we consume literature, audiobooks have diversified the industry and will only benefit literature as a whole in the long term. For an industry that’s dead, there’s a lot of life here.