Review: Fatboy Slim

Fatboy Slim returns for a special performance at the Albert Hall, which blows Music Editor, Hannah Brierley, out of this world

23rd February 2018, Albert Hall Manchester.

I wouldn’t normally go to a DJ set gig, I am much more of a see my band at 9pm, be done for 11pm and be in bed with a kebab by midnight kind of girl. However, There was no way that I would pass up such an opportunity to go see the infamous Norman Cook a.k.a Fatboy Slim.

It must be said, though, The original funk soul brother himself didn’t start till 2am, yet it was mandatory that you arrived at The Albert Hall by 10pm, 11pm at a push. Whilst this isn’t normally a problem with the help of a dance enhancer (you know what I mean), it was a struggle to stay on your feet for too long. There’s only so much two-stepping, butt brushing and apologising a girl can take during the supporting acts.

When the glorious time did arrive, and Fatboy Slim arrived onto the stage, the crowd erupted with applause and screams. His energetic set began slowly and calmy, with the Hannah Grace cover of ‘Praise You’. It’s very apparent to see why Fatboy Slim has had such a fruitful and successful DJ career. Whilst I will be the first to admit that my experience in seeing DJ sets is not so much, you could tell that the audience was so involved and clinging to the experience he was bringing.

He began to play ‘Eat, Sleep, Rave Repeat’ and as time went on he would merge other tracks, some of his own and some not into his lengthy two-hour set. It was weird for myself, that give at the gigs I normally go to there are breaks between songs and some words said and normally a monologue in the middle, I thought that I’d get bored without that — but that wasn’t the case. Mr Cook at every moment had some trick or some gimmick to keep people entertained and not to let them drop the enthusiasm at all.

Fatboy Slim played his own infamous tracks such as ‘Star 69’ and ‘Right here, Right now’ and also used modern tracks such as ‘Uptown Funk’ and CamelPhats’ ‘Cola’. Mixed into the set were other bangers such as tracks from The White Stripes and The Basement Jaxx, to really get your nostalgia flowing.

The venue really leant itself and added to the experience too. The Albert Hall with its two-tier system was overwhelming, especially when you could oversee the whole lower floor, you almost became a spectator to the whole event.

Overall, the performance put on by Fatboy Slim was incredible, despite the initial waiting and never-ending two-stepping. Waiting for Fatboy Slim was totally worth it, his enthusiasm and dedication to put on an ingenious performance prove how skilful and experienced Norman Cook has always been. I don’t think anyone left that night feeling disappointed.