Preview: MSoA’s Graphic Print Auction

Calling all graphic design fans, and uni students desperate for a revamp of their bedrooms

If you are interested in purchasing some eclectic and interesting prints to decorate your new uni room in the coming September semester, or perhaps are just a die-hard fan of graphic design, boy, have I got the event for you. Manchester School of Art students are putting on a print auction as a way to raise money to fund the School’s Graphic Design degree show this Thursday, and you wouldn’t want to miss some of the big named artists’ work they have on sale.

Laura Lane, a graphic design undergrad explains that the show will have an array of different work. “They are big names, some from Manchester like DR.ME and Malcolm Garrett. Malcolm Garrett is a designer who’s had a massive influence on the music scene in Manchester, such as designing The Buzzcocks album artwork.”

“We also have work from design celebrities such as Milton Glaser (designer of “IloveNY” logo), Sagmeister & Walsh, and design agencies such as Hort.”

But it isn’t just about the established designers, the event is a way to help the next generation of graphic designers get a foot up with their own work. If you didn’t know, graphic design is a pretty expensive career to pursue. “The event is raising money to help fund the Manchester School of Art Graphic Design degree show so as to cover costs for printing — which is surprisingly expensive — and other elements of our final show”, says Lane.

The auction will be held on the 31st of May at Goodstock on Oxford Road — a vintage charity shop that houses an exhibition space on the top floor. The space will be open to the public from 6 pm, and the auction will begin from 7:30 pm, with Eddy Rhead from the modernist society as the auctioneer. “We have been donated a small amount of craft ales from alphabet brewery and people are welcome to bring their own alcohol to the venue.”

Art and free beer? Sounds like a good evening to me.

You can find the event on Facebook here.

You can even find some of the prints on auction on the MSoA’s graphic design Instagram page here. 

The MSoA degree show will be open to the public from the 9th to the 20th of June.