Arts

Facebook Page Mancunion: Arts

Lubaina Himid 'Naming the Money' 2004 Photo: drinksmachine@Flickr

Turner Prize 2017: A historic win

Lubaina Himid’s Turner Prize victory feels to be the most tremendous thing to happen for the award in years. As well as being the ...

Vibrations by Faye Gosling

ArtBox: Interview with artist Faye Gosling

ArtBox will be host to a range of artists who have all donated their work in aid of one charity, Manchester Mind, and ...

Machine with Hair Caught in It (detail) by U_Joo+LimheeYoung, Photo: Courtesy of The Lowry

Review: HumansBeingDigital

How far away are we from dystopia? Much of modern day media asks it’s audience this very question, with shows like Black ...

Turner Prize 2017: A historic win

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 1
Vibrations by Faye Gosling

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 2

Review: HumansBeingDigital

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 3

Turner Prize 2017: A historic win

Florrie Badley reflects on the significance of Lubaina Himid’s recent Turner Prize win

Vibrations by Faye Gosling

We talked to Faye Gosling, one of many students involved in this fundraising event for the Manchester Mind charity

Photo: Will Da Costa

ArtBox: Interview with artist Will Da Costa

We catch up with contributing artist Will Da Costa, who will be donating his playful illustrations to the event

Review: HumansBeingDigital

The Lowry’s latest exhibition creates an uncanny intersection between the human and the digital realm

Steve McQueen, Ashes, 2002-2015. Video still. Image courtesy the artist and Thomas Dane Gallery, London

Review: Steve McQueen’s ode to Ashes

Acclaimed director Steve McQueen uses video installation to create a haunting elegy for the violent and needless deaths of young men

Photo: Eleanor Forrest @ The Mancunion

Remembering Partition with New North South: Risham Syed

Risham Syed showcases her first solo exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery as her postcard-sized paintings trace the developing landscape of her hometown, Lahore, Pakistan

Yang Yongliang, The Night of Perpetual Day, 2014 image courtesy of Constantin Brosteanu

Review: Digital Matters – The Earth Behind the Screen

The CFCCA document the lesser known routes of global supply chains, inviting us to question our role as consumers

Photo: Poetry of Perception @ Vimeo

Review: Punk in Drublic – A Night of Spoken Word, Poetry & Comedy

Poetry and comedy violently clash in the name of charity

Photo: Cecily Brown, Shipwreck drawings, Courtesy Thomas Dane Limited

Preview: Cecily Brown sketches the past onto the present

In the serene surrounds of the Whitworth’s Mezzanine Gallery, Cecily Brown displays her chaotically technicoloured ‘Shipwreck’ works, which reveal a confrontation between the past masterpieces of Delacroix, Don Juan, and Gericault, and the heart-wrenching images of the current refugee crisis

Neha Choksi and Rachelle Rojany Swing for friends (used in Faith in friction), 2017 Photo: Pascale CA

Remembering Partition with New North South: Neha Choksi

Manchester Art Gallery delves deep through the medium of South Asian film with Neha Choksi

Photo: Skye Demar

Review: Airport ’87

Central Library’s select but charming collection of photographs captures the vibrant atmosphere of Manchester Airport thirty years ago

Photo: Funraising - Joe Yapp

ArtBox: The Student Run Collective’s Silent Charity Auction

We talk to one of the curators of ArtBox, Sophie Billington about her upcoming project in aid of Manchester Mind charity