Impact Journalism

Photo: GM Housing Action

A forum to empower renters

Living in Manchester, it’s hard to miss the reality that the city is facing a housing crisis. The most evident aspect of ...

Photo: Phil Grant

Stand for freedom: the modern day fight against slavery

Perhaps slavery is not an issue that many of us consider to be 'current', and many are probably unaware of the extent of ...

Votes for Women (labelled for reuse)

The 100th anniversary of womens' suffrage with Baroness Hale

On the 8th of February, the accomplished Baroness Hale of Richmond, President of the Supreme Court, returned to the university that she ...

Photo: GM Housing Action

A forum to empower renters

Posted on Feb 22, 2018 1
Photo: Phil Grant

Stand for freedom: the modern day fight against

Posted on Feb 19, 2018 2
Votes for Women (labelled for reuse)

The 100th anniversary of womens' suffrage with Baroness

Posted on Feb 15, 2018 3
Photo: GM Housing Action

A forum to empower renters

Are you sick of living in expensive, mouldy, damp housing and putting up with dodgy landlords?

Photo: Phil Grant

Ruth Squires speaks to the UoM students who stood for 24 hours as a protest against modern day slavery

Photo: Wikipedia

The 100th anniversary of womens’ suffrage with Baroness Hale

Tuesday the 6th February marked the 100th anniversary of the suffragette movement gaining rights for some women. Eva Muñoz Picazo attended a speech by Baroness Hale, President of the Supreme Court here at the University of Manchester, and recalls the lessons learnt over the last 100 years

Photo: marcello @ Flickr

A trip to hell to cure depression? Psychedelics as psychiatry with Adam Laidler

Some of his ‘visions’ may seem hard to believe…

Photo: Broady @ flickr

My experience with Greater Manchester Police

Burglaries in South Manchester are not uncommon – but when my house was ransacked in December, I at least expected Manchester Police to be on hand to help us through

Photo: Wikipedia

Ignored Histories: Empire in Education with Anindita Ghosh

As we continue our theme of black history month, this week Ellie Tivey talks to UoM senior lecturer Anindita Ghosh to discuss why history classrooms around the country are severely lacking in education on colonialism and how this is affecting our understandings of the world

Photo: Courtesy Sciences Po Refugee Help

Sciences Po Refugee Help

Sciences Po Refugee Help brings together asylum seekers with students passionate about helping refugees in an effort to “bridge the gap between those in need and those willing to act”

Photo: Kyleen Considine.Recipes and coupons — other money-saving options — dangle from the Pitt Pantry's ceiling and fill up a tack board on the wall

Pitt Pantry addresses rising food insecurity

As food insecurity becomes a rising concern on college campuses, more colleges — including the University of Pittsburgh — are opening food pantries to feed hungry students tight on cash

Photo: The Daily Princetonian

Princeton Citizen Scientists aim to renew civic engagement

Princeton Citizen Scientists is a group of about 40 science, engineering, and social science graduate students who aim to address the current political discourse with their expertise

Photo: 475 nm: Perceptions on Mental Health / Courtesy

SafeSpace startup connects students experiencing mental health issues

UC Berkeley students are developing a website and mobile app to connect campus students experiencing mental health issues with other students who face similar experiences

Photo: Student Action

Students try and make a difference to the lives of Manchester’s homeless

The Mancunion spoke with Hannah Featherstone, Student Coordinator for the Homeless Outreach Project, to discuss the work University of Manchester students are doing to tackle the homelessness crisis in the city

Photo: Impact Journalism Day

Impact Journalism Day

The Mancunion has joined 20 newspapers, from across the US, UK, Europe, and Asia, to highlight student-led initiatives making an impact across the world