jenny-sterne

Impact Journalism Day

The Mancunion has joined 20 newspapers, from across the US, UK, Europe, and Asia, to highlight student-led initiatives making an impact across the world

The Mancunion is taking part in Impact Journalism Day Universities (IJD-U), taking place across the world on April 10th 2017, which aims to bring student newspapers together to highlight the work of student journalists and shine a spotlight on positive innovation by students in universities around the world.

By writing high quality, in-depth articles, all published on the 10th of April, the alliance of newspapers will collectively open the eyes of their generation to positive action they can take right now.

Impact Journalism Day Universities (IJD-U) is a replication of Sparknews’ international solutions journalism events—Impact Journalism Day and Solutions&Co. These events bring together an alliance of 80 international newspapers to report on innovative solutions to problems.

Below is an editorial from the IJD-U team about why this project is so important.

Students are Fighting for the Future

For many university students and young people around the world, the 2016/2017 academic year has not been very hopeful. There is a sense that world leaders are shying away from addressing global problems such as climate change and forced migration, yet, as the generation with the greatest level of higher education, we are acutely aware of how seriously these problems threaten our future.

For this reason, we have realized the need to take action.

On April 10th, as part of Impact Journalism Day Universities (IJD-U), student newspapers from 20 renowned universities, united by Sparknews, are collectively sharing stories about 30 student initiatives that aim to address serious social and environmental problems.

By writing about these innovative projects, the 20 participating student newspapers show the collective force that the media has to catalyze change. From teaching each other how to use computer science for social good, to creating platforms that crowdfund for university fees, to providing peer support for mental health, to sharing education with refugees, these stories show that students are actively challenging the notion that nothing can be done.

Additionally, by each newspaper sharing their articles with each other, student journalists are given broad visibility and the individual actions of young people will be seen around the world, offering these initiatives the chance to grow and be replicated. One fortunate student will also be invited to attend the One Young World conference in Bogotá to meet with other pioneering young leaders.

IJD-U is inspired by Impact Journalism Day and Solutions&Co, two events created by Sparknews which bring together more than 80 of the world’s leading newspapers including The Financial Times (UK), USA Today, The China Daily, Die Welt (Germany), Le Figaro (France), El País (Spain), and Asahi Shimbun (Japan), and many others, to bring awareness to social innovation.

To read their stories visit impactjournalismday-universities.com/read-our-stories

IJD-U will also be celebrated on April 24th in New York as part of a Sparknews sustainability event hosted by BNP Paribas, IJD-U’s sponsor.

Louis Slade, Manager, Impact Journalism Day Universities

Christian de Boisredon, Founder, Sparknews

For more information, contact [email protected]

The Mancunion has published two of our own articles about the work of students at The University of Manchester:

‘How intergenerational projects are tackling the loneliness crisis’: Jacob Nicholas, The Mancunion

‘Students try and make a difference to the lives of Manchester’s homeless’: Emma Shanks,  The Mancunion 

The Mancunion has also published six further articles from the alliance of newspapers that showcase students creating an impact in their community across the world:  

‘Pitt Pantry addresses rising food insecurity’: Janine Faust, The Pitt News

‘Going Cold: Students investigated unsolved homicides in Pitt club’: Janine Faust, The Pitt News

‘Sciences Po Refugee Help’: Melissa Godin, The Paris Globalist 

‘SafeSpace startup connects students experiencing mental health issues’: Pressly Pratt, The Daily Californian

‘Blast off: Oxford startup seeks to address shortcomings in student funding’: Chris Allnutt, Oxford Student

‘Princeton Citizen Scientists aim to renew civic engagement’: Katie Petersen, The Daily Princetonian

Impact Journalism Day Universities (IJD-U) is sponsored by BNP Paribas

Manchester’s continuing problem with inaccessibility: On the redesign of NQ’s Stevenson Square

The re-design of Stevenson Square apparently complies with standards set by the Department for Transport, so why is it being criticised by sight-loss charity Henshaws, and charity patron Dave Steele?