Higher Education

Photo: Emma Atkins

It's not over yet — Manchester's absence from NSS rankings marks huge success for boycott campaign

A week ago today, the hotly anticipated National Student Survey (NSS)results were published, but the University of Manchester (UoM) was missing from ...

Photo: Shutterstock

Top universities discriminate against A-Level subjects typically chosen by poorer students

Career-specific A-Level subjects, favoured by lower-income students, are discriminated against by admissions to leading universities in the UK. New research, conducted by the ...

Photo: NHS

Push Doctor launches grant for medical students

A new grant for medical students has been launched by Push Doctor. The grant is open to any medical student studying at a ...

Photo: Emma Atkins

It's not over yet — Manchester's absence from

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 1
Photo: Shutterstock

Top universities discriminate against A-Level subjects typically chosen

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 2
Photo: NHS

Posted on Aug 11, 2017 3
Photo: Emma Atkins

“It’s not over yet” — Manchester’s absence from NSS rankings marks huge success for boycott campaign

A week after the NSS rankings were released, The Mancunion talks to Education Officer Emma Atkins who is adamant the work cannot stop here

Photo: Shutterstock

On the eve of A-level results day, a study finds that some A-Level choices are keeping poorer students out of elite universities

Photo: NHS

Students studying at UK universities can now apply for cash grants from the digital healthcare brand

Photo: Pixabay

University pensions deficit skyrockets to £17.5bn

Tuition fee increases are being tabled as one possible solution

Photo: altogetherfool @Flickr

Ex-Chancellor George Osborne given honorary professorship at University of Manchester

Reaction to the news has been mixed, with the university praising Osborne’s dedication to the Northern Powerhouse and its growing economy, while critics have questioned the ex-Chancellor’s credentials

Photo: pohjoshua @Flickr

TEF awards: Bronze, Silver, Gold, or fraud?

The University of Manchester Students’ Union’s Education Officer Emma Atkins considers the impact of the recent TEF awards, and questions the role of TEF in the intricate, diverse world of higher education

Photo: Alicia Love

Controversial TEF rankings shake up Higher Education hierarchies

The release of the controversial Teaching Excellence Framework’s results shocked many, with only eight Russell Group universities receiving gold, although many have questioned the rankings’ validity

Photo: Junaid Ali Bokhari

Students and staff share shocked reactions to impending job cuts

Staff and students from across the university react to the Board’s decision to cut hundreds of staff posts, which anxious staff say could lead to a ‘student marking boycott’

Photo: Tristan Parsons

Fossil Free and BDS protest Making a Difference Awards

Students from the Fossil Free and BDS (Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions) campaigns protested the University of Manchester’s Social Responsibility Awards held on the 11th of May

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

University of Manchester to cut 171 jobs

The university cites ‘bold’ ambition as the reason for proposed cuts, however the University and College Union claim the cuts are due to Brexit

Photo: Manchester Labour Students / Twitter / The Mancunion

Anti-Semitic tweets force resignation of Labour Students Co-Chair

The newly elected Manchester Metropolitan Co-Chair of Manchester Labour Students, Tayyib Nawaz, has been forced to resign after the uncovering of Anti-Semitic and homophobic tweets

Photo: UKParliament @Flickr

New parallels drawn between ‘white working class’ and BME communities

Reports by the Runnymede Trust and CLASS suggest the ‘white working class’ label may potentially damage hopeful policies that will benefit the working classes