Higher Education

The Samuel Alexander Building, home to the School of Arts, Languages, and Cultures. Photo: Junaid Ali Bokhari

Students and staff share shocked reactions to impending job cuts

On the morning of Wednesday 10th May, an email was sent to thousands of staff at the University of Manchester detailing a ...

Photo: Tristan Parsons. Fossil Free and BDS protestors outside Social Responsibility awards

Fossil Free and BDS protest Making a Difference Awards

Around 15 activists from the Fossil Free and BDS (Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions) campaigns were protesting the Making a Difference Awards on ...

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

University of Manchester to cut 171 jobs

The University of Manchester has announced plans to cut 171 staff. The proposal approved by the board of governors on 3rd of ...

Students and staff share shocked reactions to impending

Posted on May 14, 2017 1

Fossil Free and BDS protest Making a Difference

Posted on May 12, 2017 2
Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Posted on May 11, 2017 3
Photo: Junaid Ali Bokhari

Staff and students from across the university react to the Board’s decision to cut hundreds of staff posts, which anxious staff say could lead to a ‘student marking boycott’

Photo: Tristan Parsons

Students from the Fossil Free and BDS (Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions) campaigns protested the University of Manchester’s Social Responsibility Awards held on the 11th of May

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

The university cites ‘bold’ ambition as the reason for proposed cuts, however the University and College Union claim the cuts are due to Brexit

Photo: Manchester Labour Students / Twitter / The Mancunion

Anti-Semitic tweets force resignation of Labour Students Co-Chair

The newly elected Manchester Metropolitan Co-Chair of Manchester Labour Students, Tayyib Nawaz, has been forced to resign after the uncovering of Anti-Semitic and homophobic tweets

Photo: UKParliament @Flickr

New parallels drawn between ‘white working class’ and BME communities

Reports by the Runnymede Trust and CLASS suggest the ‘white working class’ label may potentially damage hopeful policies that will benefit the working classes

Photo: peter_from_wellington @Flickr

Students react to the triggering of Article 50

As Theresa May announces plans for the implementation of Article 50, Manchester students voice their opinions on what it means and how it will affect them

Photo: havoc @Flickr

Academics plea for the government to protect EU citizen’s rights

The heads of thirty-five Oxford University colleges issue a letter warning of the huge impact on academia if thousands of EU staff leave UK universities

Photo: Matt Wynne

Burnham announces Graduate Retention Plan

The Labour Mayoral election candidate announced the key student policy at his manifesto launch

TomFloyd@Flickr

Oxford University to offer summer schools for white working class boys

Summer schools offered to white British working class boys in an attempt to bolster university admissions from this socio-economic group

Photo: First Minister Press Conference @Flickr

Brexit and Indyref2 leaves the future of EU students in Scotland unclear

Leaving the EU could put huge financial pressure on Scotland to continue providing free education to non-UK EU students after Brexit

Photo: paxana

University to ban ‘mankind’ and ‘right-hand man’

Cardiff Metropolitan University have come under criticism for proposing a ban on words which they say are harmful and potentially alienate members of the student body

Photo: David Iliff@Wikipedia

Creative climate activists use paintings for protests

Campaigns escalate in attempts to encourage a top London university to divest from all fossil fuels