Society

Photo: The Mancunion

Manchester attack: He called this city home, too

The reaction to this week’s attack at Manchester Arena has been warm and strong, but ultimately predictable. Yet again, on both sides ...

Photo: PublicDomainPictures @ Pixabay. Note: this is not a photo of the baby referred to in this article.

That baby was not born holding a coil: stop sharing fake news

We all hear of the dangers of fake news. It isn’t possible these days to talk about Brexit or the Trump Presidency ...

Photo: State Farm @ Flickr

Millennials face real problems

I am twenty-one years old, and I think I am similar to other people my age in that my hackles can be ...

Photo: The Mancunion

Posted on May 24, 2017 1

That baby was not born holding a coil:

Posted on May 4, 2017 2
Photo: State Farm @ Flickr

Millennials face real problems

Posted on Mar 28, 2017 3
Photo: The Mancunion

We must ‘go beyond simplistic notions of madness, religion, and love. Instead, we must turn to issues of poverty, crime, drugs, alienation, integration, and more’

Recent misinformed stories that circulated about the birth of a ‘newborn baby born holding an IUD’ should be a wake-up call for us to be more critical of the news we read and share

Photo: State Farm @ Flickr

Millennials face real problems

Those who defend millennials are failing to recognise the real problems that face our generation

Photo: Elise Gallagher

A culture of objectification, not rape

We must be more accurate with our definitions of the threats that women face if we are to tackle misogynistic behaviour in public and in private

Photo: Garry Knight @ Flickr

A new traditionalism in political debate

We ought to understand ourselves, then engage with our families, friends, and communities before taking to the streets in rage

Photo: amanda wood @Flickr

Student elections and ongoing contradictions

Elliott Mills illustrates how continued low voter turnout in Student Union elections is widening the gap between students and those representing them

Photo: Dai O'Nysius @ Wikimedia Commons

The infrastructure and politics of the Curry Mile

The Reclaim the Night march and Wilsmlow Road’s new cycle lanes expose the subtle tensions that exist between the Rusholme and student communities

Photo: besafebestrong @Flickr

Sorry, but Emma Watson is still a feminist

The scandal surrounding Emma Watson’s Vanity Fair cover shoot is just another way to compartmentalise women

Photo: Elliott Mills

The ‘Before I Die’ blackboard: Iterations and implications

Elliott Mills illustrates how the ‘Before I Die’ blackboard, as well as other everyday features of Oxford Road, is a symbol for the cycle of life and death

Photo: Elise Gallagher

Men must listen to feminists

In the wake of the recent Reclaim the Night protest, David Moseley illustrates a role for men in feminist movements

Photo: leweb3 @Flickr

A sympathetic view of Milo Yiannopoulos

The left must be more understanding towards the individuals that are attracted to the views of speakers like Yiannopoulos, argues Sam Glover

Photo: Alicia Love

Why I’ve dropped out of the University of Manchester

Recent University of Manchester drop out, Edie Walwyn, discusses the possibilities that exist outside our society’s obsession with university education