tom-geddes

Live: The Answer @ Academy 3

They may have supported rock and roll legends AC/DC in the past but how are this Irish quartet faring in the present?

The Answer

Academy 3

24th October

3.5 Stars

A couple of years back, if you wanted to see The Answer you’d have to pay forty quid and you’d be lucky if you got within spitting distance. Back then they were jetting around the world as support for rock and roll legends AC/DC. In the present, a slightly more humble Academy 3 is their stomping ground, though admittedly it is packed to the rafters.

Throwback rockers and nicest band in the world Gentlemans Pistols opened the night, tearing through a set with enough seventies vibes to fill an episode of Life on Mars. Perhaps it’s the tongue in cheek lyrics, most notably of ‘The Ravisher’ and ‘Some Girls Don’t Know What’s Good for Them’, or maybe it’s the infectious grins and geeky appearance; either way, by the end of the set the originally ambivalent rabble had become both enthusiastic and rapt (at least five people asked me for their name afterwards.)

With a suitably warmed stage, The Answer bounded straight into a set of favourites peppered with a few songs from new album Revival. Cormac Neeson’s vocal style brings to mind Free’s Paul Rodgers, with a powerful range which is, to be honest a little overbearing in the tiny venue. The songs stood up consistently well however, with new numbers ‘Tornado’ and ‘Vida (I Want You)’ slotting seamlessly between established classics ‘Too Far Gone’ and ‘Under The Sky’. Highlights of the set however are the tender ‘Why’d you Change Your Mind’ and Rose Tattoo cover ‘Rock ‘N’ Roll Outlaw’. But as the set drew to a close, one couldn’t help but think this was a band that had evolved past this size venue whilst honing their skills with ‘DC. With powerful vocals that could deafen from one hundred paces and a steady guitar onslaught, this is a band that needs an Academy 1 slot to truly impress.

The Answer – Evil Man

Gentlemans Pistols – The Ravisher

Tom Geddes

Tom Geddes

Former Music Columnist (2011-2012).

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark