claudia-canavan

Donatella’s Diffusion Line

Is the latest High Street meets High Fashion collaboration a success?

In the wake of a plethora of infinitely successful high end collaborations with designers from Karl Lagerfeld to Lanvin over the past decade, H&M have managed to bridge the gap between ultra elite fashion house and budget high street shopping. The latest incarnation of this model comes in the guise of a collection from Versace, which head honcho Donatella is marketing as the very ‘essence’ of the Italian power label. An inspection of the collection (available to view in its entirety at Vogue.com) reveals this to be true to an extent- overly garish prints, tight-as-you-like dresses and a disproportionate amount of inspiration drawn from the animal kingdom. True Versace, however, is at least always executed in the finest of fabrics and crafted with the upmost attention to detail. Sadly, these designs are an amalgamation of all that is (in my opinion) wrong with the company and the synthetic materials which so often render a gorgeous H&M item distinctly cheap looking. A few gems can be found in amongst the debris (such as the black silk cap sleeve dress, £79.99), though, regrettably, the vast majority of these pieces will inevitably be picked up by those who value a label over genuine style.

Claudia Canavan

Claudia Canavan

Former fashion editor (2011-2012).

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse