features

Why do we have a ‘Solidarity with the Arab Spring’ week?

Ghalia Albarazi On the 14th-18th November 2011, UMSU’s campaign week will be dedicated to the Middle East and North Africa. The aim of the week is to raise awareness of what is happening in that region and an excuse to fundraise for this cause. But why should we care? Last semester, a motion was passed […]

Ghalia Albarazi

On the 14th-18th November 2011, UMSU’s campaign week will be dedicated to the Middle East and North Africa. The aim of the week is to raise awareness of what is happening in that region and an excuse to fundraise for this cause. But why should we care?

Last semester, a motion was passed at a General Meeting in Solidarity with the Arab Spring. This came after Bahraini students at the university had their scholarships stopped by their Government back home for not supporting the regime. From this case alone, it is clear that what is happening in those regions is affecting our students here. And this is the direct response we see; this doesn’t include the international and home students whose families and friends back home have been directly affected by what has been going on in that region.

But still, why should we care? Not only is this affecting many students on campus, but it is interesting to note that many of the revolutions we are currently seeing in the news were started off by youth movements; many of them university students.

Tired of the corruption and injustice that they see and live with on an every day basis, the youth in these countries have stood up and want their voices heard. Many students have died as a result of their peaceful protesting whilst others have been tortured, detained or displaced, just for standing up. As students, as free thinkers and as humans, the least we can do for our fellow human beings is to stand in solidarity with them. Will you stand with them?