lloydhenning

Food and Drink Campus Map

Here lays the map of the best and worst of the Food and Drink available in and around the University of Manchester’s campus.
Search and Enjoy

Food and Drink Campus Map
Here lays the map of the best and worst of the Food and Drink available in and around the University of Manchester’s campus. The mini reviews were compiled by Isaac Cameron (IC), Lloyd Henning (LH), Jemma Gibson (JG), Roshan Gibson (RG), Lloyd Henning (LH), Catherine May (CM) and James Watts (JW).

Check out the Google Map version here.

Christie’s Bistro (# 28)
By Abigail Davies

Situated less than a minute’s walk from John Ryland’s library, it is surprising that not many students know about Christie’s bistro. Hidden upstairs in the neo-gothic Christies building, the bistro was itself initially built as a library and to this day still manages to exude a distinctly academic vibe. The bindings of large manuscripts and archaic paintings adorn the oak panelled walls, giving it a timeless, cosy, yet regal appearance. What’s really great about the bistro is its versatility; split into two different sections, it offers both a formal dining area and a relaxed lounge area. The formal dining area, I admit, is usually void of students; instead tending to attract an array of suits, wine glasses and expensive salads. The rustic lounge area however, with its coffee tables and leather sofas, is suitable for pretty much any member of the University. The menu still isn’t cheap; most sandwiches average just under £5. However, if you’re looking for somewhere you can just have a snack and a hot drink, there are some alluring deals involving a coffee and a muffin for under £3. The Bistro is open 9-5, Monday to Friday, and its busiest hours are between 12pm and 2.00pm. First thing in the morning and from around three o’clock onwards it tends to be very quiet however, and can offer the perfect space for students who wish to spend some solitary time reading in between lectures.

Couture (# 16)
By Jessica Hardiman

I’d recommend the museum cafe, ‘Couture’. Most dishes are under £5 and include tasty sandwiches, a daily soup and daily one-pot dish. There’s also some dishes for under £7 if you’re feeling a bigger lunch, like salads. It does some really delicious breakfasts and brunches that feel just that little bit more upmarket than a greasy spoon (pancakes or smoked salmon and eggs for around £3-£5). A lovely experience – much more exquisite than Biko’s and far more tranquil.

The Deaf Institute (# 39)
By Lloyd Henning

Get away from your dirty co-students and head to The Deaf Institute. At night it may be a hot-bed of noise and booze but around noon it’s a great lunch time retreat. There is plenty of space, with tables for groups of all sizes and the decor is a refreshing change from the bland sheen of University Place. There is a special on the menu each day, from which I have experienced all manners of culinary delights. The normal menu also has fantastic burgers and lunchtime platters and the staff are friendly. The price ranges from £4 to £7 depending on how starved you feel, although the specials are always the best value.

1. Biko cafe
Price: ££ Quality: * Busyness: **
Not the most exciting place on campus by any means, but if you are desperate for a jacket potato then you won’t be disappointed.
LH

2. Union Fountain
Cheaper than buying a bottle of volvic, but less glamorous.
LH

3. Bin outside Kilburn
A great bin to meet nerds by.
LH

4. Byte Cafe
Price: £ Quality: * Busyness: *
If you enjoy the smell of body odour with your coffee then pull up a seat next to one of Computer Scientists that dwell in this cafe.
LH

5. Water Fountain next to Byte Cafe
Cool. Water.
LH

6. University Place Restaurant and Cafe
Price: ££ Quality: ** Busyness: ***

7. The Oxford
Price: £££ (but lots of special offers) Quality: *** Busyness: *
JG

8. Ellen Wilkinson Fountain and Cafe
First, or possibly second floor, just next to the staircase. Cafe on the ground floor. Good computer cluster on 3rd floor which is always quiet.
IC

9. Footage
Price: £££ Quality: *** Busyness: **
JG

10. JRUL cafe
Price: ££ Quality: * Busyness: **
The Library, Mecca of learning, haven of information, student’s paradise-unless they’re hungry. Mushroom soup? More like thick vegetable stock, and almost a Pound for a bar of chocolate? The only redeeming features are the friendly staff, proximity to the books and fantastic range of waste and recycling facilities.
JG

11. Herbi Vores Vegetarian Cafe
Price: ££ Quality: ** Busyness: **
This underground canteen caters for vegetarians and vegans, and anybody else who loves interesting and affordable soups, cakes and sandwiches. Situated literally outside the library, its the perfect place to satisfy your library hunger and boredom, it is also a great alternative to the JRUL cafe food.
RG

12. Outside University Place Bins
Excellent range of bins/recycling bins
JG

13. Umami
Price: ££ Quality: ** Busyness: * (quick service though)
already tagged, but the £4.95 deal is good.
IC

14. KroBar
Price: £££ Quality: *** Busyness: *
Best for coffee, cake (only £2.95) and revision.
JG

15. The Pub
Price: £££ Quality: *** Busyness:**
JG

16. Cafe Museum
Price: *** Quality: *** Busyness ***
Tasty breakfast deal with sausage sandwich and a coffee.
IC

17. Sand Bar
Price: £££ Quality: *** Busyness: *
Quick service and really really good food, good for lunch time special occasions and celebrations (eg birthdays, end of exams, Fridays).
JG

18. Precinct Centre Spar
Price: ££ Quality: * Busyness: **
Very handy for Precinct Library and Crawford Building users
JG

19. Samuel Alexander Building Lime Cafe
Standard uni cafe. Has outdoor seating which is quite nice in the summer though
IC

20. All Saints Park Picnic area
Possibly the nicest picnic spot on campus, very leafy and spacious (only suitable for April-September)
JG

21. Greggs outside Whitworth Park
Price: £ Quality: ** Busyness: ***
A modern classic
JG

22. McColls outside Whitworth Park
Price: £ Quality: ** Busyness: **
They sell Pop Tarts. Need I say more?
CM

23. MacDonalds
Price: ££ Quality: negligable Busyness: ***
Opens at six so ideal for breakfast during late night/early morning library sessions in exam periods
JG

24. Subway outside Whitworth Park
Price: ££ Quality: * Busyness: ***
JG

25. Subway near the Aquatic centre
Price: ££ Quality: * Busyness: *
JG

26. Potters Cafe (Simon Building)
Price: ££ Quality: ** Busyness: ***
Good hot salads.
IC

27. Shake That!
Price: ££ Quality: ** Busyness: *
Not as good as Shakeaway, but easily accessible for a pre-lecture sugar rush.
CM

28. Christies Bistro
Price: £££ Quality: *** Busyness: ***
Bit more pricey than most places, but probably the nicest place to eat on campus.
IC

29. Dominoes Pizza near Footage
Price: £££ Quality: * Busyness: **
It’s a bit of a hike, but if you’ve still got your vouchers from Freshers then you’ll know that ‘Free Pizza’ week is coming up from Feb 28.
CM

30. The caf’ next door to Metro Convenience
Price: ££ Quality: ** Busyness **
Doesn’t appear to have a name on the exterior, but has by far the best salad bar in Manchester – not massive, but has gorgeous sweet chili potatoes and other ethnic bits and bobs. Great chilled out vibe too.
CM

31. Costa Coffee
Price: ££ Quality: ** Busyness: **
Ideal location for breakfast on the way into lectures from Victoria Park/Fallowfield. Pricier than supermarket croissants etc. but the Chocolate Twist cannot be bettered. Wide range of paninis for lunch too.
CM

32. Valu Supermarket
The name gives it all away really.
CM

33. Sainsbury’s
Price: ££ Quality: ** Busyness: ***
The latest Sainsbury’s to open in Manchester is in a prime location for students on their way to university. You can be sure to get your daily meal deal and delicious bakery treats to help you get through the day.
JW

34. Happiness Cafe
Price: £ Quality: ** Busyness: ***
Find the true meaning of a happy meal here… Great paninis + £2.50 = Happy.
RG

35. Fruit and Nut Sandwich Bar
Price: £ Quality: ** Busyness: **
Friendly faces and plenty of sandwiches.
LH

36. International Cafe
Price: ££ Quality: *** Busyness: **
A great place to eat if you like to have your plate piled to the brim. For around £5 you can have yourself a plateful of all sorts of curries and there is always a vegetarian option. My suggestion is to go for both rice and chips, this helps ensure complete immobility after the feast.
LH

37. Business School Cafeteria
Price: £££ Quality: *** Busyness: **
A lovely place to eat, and has plenty of variety in the menu. However, it does make you feel like a bit of a plebeian as you stare over at the diners of the posh hotel restaurant shares the same space.
LH

38. University Place water fountains (in the restaurant)
Deserve a special mention-this is possibly the only place cups are supplied.
JG

39. The Deaf Institute
Price: £££ Quality: *** Busyness: *
LH

Lloyd Henning

Lloyd Henning

Lloyd Henning is columnist and web editor for The Mancunion. He was once an olive connoisseur, he now works towards one day creating the real Jurassic Park. You can follow him on twitter @lloydhenning