oliver-johnstone
21st November 2011

No 2 EU

The key point that Europhiles miss when attempting to silence our popular wish to free Britain from the shackles of the European Union is that the debate is not really about the ‘here and now’. Rather, we ought to emphasis the point that the EU has no definition other than that which appears to be […]

The key point that Europhiles miss when attempting to silence our popular wish to free Britain from the shackles of the European Union is that the debate is not really about the ‘here and now’.

Rather, we ought to emphasis the point that the EU has no definition other than that which appears to be the clear intentions of its leaders and supporters. As may come as a shock to the rigid adherents to the European project out there, our focus here is not on the present trouble and strife in the Eurozone but on the wider implications of Jean Monnet’s grand design for the future of Great Britain.

From the very beginning, the intention has been to transform Europe into a united federal state – to that there can be no objection. We have seen how European leaders have trampled over our democratic rights and railroaded through treaties which have seen the voices of the ordinary man and woman silenced, yet the reach of the watchtower in Brussels expanded.

In the Human Rights Act, as well as the Lisbon and Maastricht treaties, we have seen a sinister collusion between the political elite and the Bonapartist bureaucrats to override popular will and bolster the fortification of ‘Project Europa’. As the father of the European Union, Jean Monnet commanded in the most Machievellian vein, “Europe’s nations should be guided towards the superstate without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps, each disguised as having an economic purpose but which will irreversibly lead to federation.”

The question we must therefore ask is not ought we remain in the EU as it stands, but rather do we want to abandon our island nation of Great Britain and have the elite sign us up to the United States of Europe? Do we neglect our prestigious history, shun our fascinatingly rich culture and accept an inferior diplomatic position in favour of European homogeneity? Now is the time to say enough is enough. We, the people, are sovereigns of our nations and destinies. It is high time the political and bureaucratic elite bowed to our will instead of us bowing to theirs.

Oliver Johnstone

Oliver Johnstone

Political Editor at The Mancunion 2011-12

If Labour wants to regain trust, they must stick to their reformist roots

While heeding the lessons of Tory failure and chaos, Keir Starmer must grasp the reins of a chaos-driven Parliament and lead it through the ideals of progress and reform

Main Library Musings – rant column #2

Edition #2 of the Opinion section’s rant column. Fuelled by sweaty palms and jabbing fingers on our keyboards, we lament three issues facing students: the library, buses, and supermarkets

My life has been failing the Bechdel test – and that’s a good thing

A lot of conversations with my friends recently have been about a guy, and this hasn’t proved to be a bad thing

We need to politicise mental health

A rising number of people in Britain are on antidepressants. Your risk of mental illness correlates with how young, how poor and how socially-disadvantaged you are. Why is this and what should we do about it?