jack-mollart-solity

Where Are They Now? – Dion Dublin

Looking at what our favourite footballers of the 90’s are up to now….
Where Are They Now? – Dion Dublin

Dion Dublin began his career in Norwich but it was his goals for Cambridge United that brought him his big move with Alex Ferguson, who parted with 1 million to acquire the striker’s services for Manchester United. Sadly a broken leg hindered his career at Old Trafford. He made just 12 appearances for the Red Devils before in 1994 he left for Coventry City.
He joined an exciting Sky Blues outfit and went on to become a club legend. His goals were instrumental in keeping Coventry up in the 1996/97 season with a memorable 2-1 win at White Hart Lane on the final day being the highlight. In 1998 he was joint top-scorer in the premiership and his omission from Glenn Hoddle’s England squad that led to their unspectacular performance at the World Cup in the eyes of many Coventry natives.
He then made the switch to local rivals Aston Villa where he undeniably reached the peak of footballing achievement. In the second city derby of 2003 Dublin delighted footballing fans across the country by head butting outspoken Welshman Robbie Savage. Referee Mark Halsey later commented that Dublin’s dismissal was the most gut-wrenching decision of his career as he sent the hero to the stands.
Understandably, Dublin struggled to cope with the pressure his achievements brought and in 2004 he moved on to newly relegated Leicester City. After over a year at the club he crossed the border and had a brief stint at Celtic scoring in the Scottish League Cup Final and winning the SPL. He then returned to Norwich end his career where it had started almost 20 years earlier.
While at Norwich Dublin broadened his horizons and made his latest contribution to the world through inventing The Dube: a cube shaped percussion instrument with six playable sides all with various tones. The instrument has endorsements from various musicians ranging from the Feeder to DJ Tim Westwood who said it would bring ‘nothing but heavy hits’.
Dublin also manages Nottingham based group ‘The Establishment’ who are currently supporting Ocean Colour Scene around the country. Hear the Dube in action with Dion himself at www.thedube.com.

Season review for local clubs

Season review for local clubs

A review of the 2021/22 campaign for clubs based in Greater Manchester
One Week Wonders: The Worst Tennis World No. 1s

Inspired by Medvedev’s limited tenure at the number one spot – who else has hold the position for a few short weeks?
Billionaire business owners: What are they doing to football?

How has a working class sport become plagued by greed? 
The issue of women’s pay in sport: The fight for fairness in a male dominated field

These are signs that women’s sport is going in the right direction, but do not be fooled. There is still plenty of work to do.