ceri-wills

Oxfam’s Homegrown Gig

You missed out if you weren’t able to come to the Oxfam Society’s HOME GROWN Gig on Wednesday 23rdNovember. With several acoustic acts, a jar of jelly beans to be won, and fairy lights and bunting galore, it was guaranteed to be good fun, and all in the name of a good cause. The Oxfam […]

You missed out if you weren’t able to come to the Oxfam Society’s HOME GROWN Gig on Wednesday 23rdNovember. With several acoustic acts, a jar of jelly beans to be won, and fairy lights and bunting galore, it was guaranteed to be good fun, and all in the name of a good cause.

The Oxfam ‘GROW’ Campaign seeks to help the 1 in 7 people going hungry every day from the effects of issues which we can help to change. The effects of climate change and food price hikes means crops are unpredictable and poor families cannot find enough money to feed themselves. Intensive farming overworks land which has vast untapped potential, and sustainable techniques could be used. Further, land grabs by wealthy companies which evicts poor families who use the land to grow their own food. The campaign is seeking to put pressure on politicians and companies to start discussion and stop these actions.

Seeking to help increase awareness of these issues, acts at the gig included Usman Mohammed, Earl Harper, High House and a brilliant rendition of TLC’s ‘No Scrubs’ by the She Choir. There was a great turnout and wonderful atmosphere, and everyone’s generous contributions raised £319.93.

Ceri Wills

Ceri Wills

Former Societies editor (2011-2012).

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village