jenny-sloan

Valentine’s Day: A life long dream

For some Valentine’s Day is a commodity or even a nuisance but for others it is much more.

Ever since I was little I would watch my mum prepare for Valentine’s Day. She would apply her make up meticulously and ornament her best dress with jewellery. Then, with a splash of her favourite perfume, out she went with my dad for dinner, leaving me with romantic thoughts for my future and a younger brother throwing toys at my head.

As I grew up I was bombarded with images of love struck couples on this divisive day. My single friends scowled at these couples, but I was jealous and in awe.

For them, Valentine’s was a commercialised, inconvenient and pointless holiday. For me it was a day to remind people that you love them. Year by year I eagerly awaited the Valentine’s Day when I would be part of one of those sickeningly soppy couples.

Finally, this year I have managed to keep a boyfriend long enough to reach February 14th. I should be fulfilling a life long dream.

At exactly this moment, I should be planning a romantic meal, picking out a new dress and writing down a sentimental message on a cute card.

However, this year, I will be in Manchester, and my boyfriend will be in Ireland, where I am from. Separated by almost two hundred miles and a poverty-stricken student status, we are unable to celebrate Valentine’s in the way I always imagined.

Instead, I will spend it stuffing my face with cheap heart-shaped chocolates which I bought for myself. At the same time my ‘anti-Valentine’ friends will be gazing starry eyed across a table in a posh restaurant at their boyfriends.

With this thought in mind, I will most likely spend the early hours of the morning on the phone to mine, whinging about how I have been denied a childhood ambition.

This will be followed by more chocolate and glaring jealously at whatever rom-com I decide to watch, in an attempt to live out my romantic expectations through the nauseatingly loved up couples on my television screen, with the hope that next year I will be one of them.

Houseplant heaven: The best plants to brighten up your student home

With the RHS Urban Show coming to Manchester, we’ve found some of the best houseplants to enhance your student accommodation

Why is everybody obsessed with minimalism?

The minimalist way of life is everywhere – what can we learn when its meaning is so often repackaged as another consumer trend?

How to have a routine when you have so few contact hours

If you find yourself with few in-person contact hours and facing challenges in establishing a routine, here are some tips to enhance your daily productivity