jonathan-breen

First year student launches T-shirt range

Economics student “takes something everyone is familiar with and puts a twist on it”

A first year student from the University of Manchester has launched a business designing and selling T-shirts.

Jamie Thompson, a first year Economics student set up website www.bassicclothing.co.uk with designer and friend Asif Sheikh from his native Newcastle, and have began selling t-shirts of their own design.

With a penchant for cartoon-style designs, Sheikh and Thompson found inspiration from their childhood.

“The designs are influenced by things from our childhood like Daffy Duck, Mickey Mouse and Disney,” said Thompson, “we are trying to take something everyone is familiar with and putting a twist on it – turning it into something they would want to wear out.”

The website was launched on February 14, and they want to expand the business venture, looking for potential stores in both Manchester and Leeds.

Although making money from Bassic Clothing while still at university may not be realistic, said Thompson, he is optimistic and hopes to establish something for when he leaves university.

“Ideally, I would like to be able to make a living from clothes,” he said. “I’ve had people come up and comment on our t-shirts in the street and it just gives you such a good feeling.

“It’s a really good feeling seeing people wearing your t-shirts.”

“Appetite” for escalation, says UoM Rent Strike

The University of Manchester Rent Strike claims to have withheld half a million pounds in rent, and have threatened to escalate the strike further