daniel-jones
22nd April 2012

Live: The Resurrection of Warehouse Project

I’m very sorry but the title of this year’s ‘Most Anticipated Resurrection’ must go to the revival of Warehouse Project.

Jamie Jones, Carl Craig, Julio Bashmore, Maya Jane Coles and Scuba
8th April
5 stars

Unless you’re a devout Catholic, it’s quite a rare occurrence to find yourself more excited by the prospect of Easter Sunday than Christmas Day.  And, Jesus Christ, I’m very sorry but the title of this year’s ‘Most Anticipated Resurrection’ must go to the revival of Warehouse Project. Following its hiatus from the start of January, Warehouse has evolved, becoming bigger and louder in the process. The rooms are huge, there’s a shitload more people and they do manage to recreate the lovely seedy ambience of Store Street.
Unfortunately, the intimate feeling of the car park under Piccadilly Station will take time to develop in the new venue. It looks like some kind of urban farm arena, complete with familiar bricks, familiar scaffolding, familiar arches and familiar cattle. And a lot more mud.

Given the sheer volume of artists, I’ll start with Julio Bashmore. He was on fairly early but his blend of stompy beats and simple melodies proved to be the perfect entrance music for the gathering mass of people. ‘Around’ went down well, and the only reason I left his set early was to catch Maya Jane Coles in one of the other rooms. I’d say that she took the cake in terms of flawless mixing, every drop was calculated to perfection and when the breakdown of ‘Little One’ kicked in, it felt like Warehouse had never been away at all. Scuba went with the usual mix of deep techno which served well to reinforce the murky atmosphere as the night moved into its early hours. Carl Craig and Jamie Jones capped off the night with some relentlessly hummable grooves and infectious bass. One of them dropped FCL’s ‘Let’s Go’ which is what I was humming all the way in the taxi home.

Overall, Warehouse Project has made a transition to the next level. A few more trips may be required in order to build up the same affection for the new venue, but that’s not a real issue as it’s now the biggest and loudest place in Manchester for fans of any type of electronic music. Easter marked the return of an institution and nobody can doubt the excitement for festivity involving this particular resurrection. Jesus who?

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility