richard-crook

Preview: Benicassim festival

Forget partying with the post-AS level results crowd at Leeds or trawling through the routine Glastonbury mud, make your festival experience this year Benicassim.

Forget partying with the post-AS level results crowd at Leeds or trawling through the routine Glastonbury mud, make your festival experience this year Benicassim. The annual Spanish summer event – sandwiched quite perfectly on the coast between Valencia and Barcelona – promises to be one to remember.

The line-up this year has a lot to live up to following 2011, but the 60+ acts named will not disappoint. The standout headliner must surely be folk legend Bob Dylan. Perhaps the greatest lyricist of our time, Dylan alone makes the journey to Spain seem the only logical choice. But sufferers of homesickness fear not, for Manchester is set to invade Benicassim with the appearances of The Stone Roses, Buzzcocks, New Order and Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds.

Beyond that, there truly is a wide variety of music both new and old on offer, ranging from De La Soul to Florence of the Machine and from Dizzee Rascal to Bombay Bicycle Club. And Ed Sheeran, I s’pose.

The festival begins on Thursday 12th July and ends on Sunday 15th and ticket prices are around £155. For full line-up details check out www.fiberfib.com.

Richard Crook

Richard Crook

Editor-in-chief at The Mancunion. E-mail me at [email protected].

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility

bar italia live in Manchester: An embrace from ‘Tracey Denim’ and ‘The Twits’

bar italia gets the crowd ‘punkt’ with a fruitful return at Manchester’s Band on the Wall, sustaining their reputability after two successful albums