tomacey56

Murray seals landmark triumph

Scot becomes first British Grand Slam winner in 76 years
Murray seals landmark triumph

At last, the wait is over. After countless near misses, Andy Murray finally landed his first Grand Slam title last week, defeating Novak Djokovic in a memorable US Open final.

As always with Murray, is wasn’t an easy ride. Despite taking a 2-0 lead, the Scot had to battle through five sets, finally sealing a 7-6 7-5 2-6 3-6 6-2 victory after nearly five hours on court.

It may have taken five Grand Slam finals for Murray to achieve his goal, but, with this victory coming so soon after his breakthrough win at the Olympics, it is tempting to believe that he can go on to achieve further honours in the coming months.

Murray has displayed a new strength of character in recent encounters, and he again failed to panic as Djokovic threatened to overturn his early advantage. Having been pegged back in the third and fourth sets, the young Murray may easily have lost heart, but this time he commanded the final games, running out a comfortable 6-2 victor in that crucial final set.

He may not yet have demonstrated the ruthlessness of a champion, but Murray has shown a great deal of resilience in achieving both his major victories this year. One can only hope that this landmark title will be the first of many for the talented lad from Dunblane.

Tom Acey

Tom Acey

Mancunion Sports Editor 2012-13

Season review for local clubs

Season review for local clubs

A review of the 2021/22 campaign for clubs based in Greater Manchester
One Week Wonders: The Worst Tennis World No. 1s

Inspired by Medvedev’s limited tenure at the number one spot – who else has hold the position for a few short weeks?
Billionaire business owners: What are they doing to football?

How has a working class sport become plagued by greed? 
The issue of women’s pay in sport: The fight for fairness in a male dominated field

These are signs that women’s sport is going in the right direction, but do not be fooled. There is still plenty of work to do.