ellen-conlon

News in brief – 1st October

A library lottery win, app-ordering drinks in Deansgate and a vigil held in memory of police officers

Vigil held for two dead police officers

Mourners gathered on Tuesday, exactly a week after the incident, to pay tribute to the two female police officers who were shot on duty.

Addressing the mourners, including hundreds of members of the public, Chief Constable Fahy said: “Greater Manchester Police is one big family.

“We know what a great community it is and we are determined to continue that work.”

New frozen yogurt shop gets “appy”

A new frozen yogurt and smoothie outlet has opened in Deansgate which allows customers to personalise their beverage choices and then order them on an iPad.

In the future, customers at The Fruit Exchange will also be able to personalise, order and pay, all via an app on their own iPad or iPhone.

“It saves our staff time and is a brilliant and innovative device,” said Thomas Osbourne, owner of The Fruit Exchange.

£1.5 million lottery win funds new archive centre

A new archive centre will be created in Manchester’s central library after winning £1.5 million lottery money.

The new service will improve access to the city’s archive and family history collections and fund viewing stations for film archives.

Sara Hilton, Head of Heritage Lottery Fund North West said: “Every aspect of Manchester’s development as the world’s first industrial city is captured here in these collections, and thanks to this project visitors from near and far will be able to learn about the city’s history.”