ellen-conlon

Teenager has stomach removed after 18th birthday celebrations

A liquid nitrogen laced cocktail has left an 18 year in hospital with her stomach removed

A teenager has had her stomach removed in an emergency operation after celebrating her 18th birthday a with a liquid-nitrogen laced cocktail at a wine bar.

Gaby Scanlon, from Lancashire, was out with her friends at Oscar’s wine bar on the 4th October, when she became breathless and developed a severe stomach pain.

She was then taken to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary where she was diagnosed with a perforated stomach. She was immediately operated on.

“Medical opinion is that this would have proved fatal had the operation not been carried out urgently,” said the Lancashire police.

Oscar’s wine bar has said that they are “tremendously concerned” about Gaby and their “heartfelt best wishes” go out to her family “at this distressing time.”

Police say that the bar has ceased selling all liquid nitrogen cocktails following the incident and had cooperated with all the agencies

“The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts,” they said.

Gaby is now in a stable but serious condition.

Liquid nitrogen has become common as a method for flash freezing food or drinks and creating a vapour cloud.

Oscar’s wine bar posted a photograph on its Facebook page last month of one of its liquid nitrogen cocktails. It contained champagne and was sold for £8.95.

If swallowed, liquid nitrogen can cause cold burns to the throat, mouth and stomach, killing the tissue.

As the vapour hits the stomach it warms quickly, releasing large volumes of air which burst the stomach.

Record 159 students apply to LeadMCR

159 students have applied, breaking the record set in 2016

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies