ellen-conlon

News in brief – 12th November

A top tourism award, buses fuelled by household waste and 500 calls to the fire brigade on Bonfire Night

John Rylands library wins top tourism award

John Rylands library in Deansgate has been named Manchester’s ‘Large Visitor Attraction of the Year’ at the city’s annual tourism awards.

The building, which was reopened in 2007 after a £17m transformation, was described by judges as progressive and exciting.

It was originally built in the 1890s by Mrs Enriqueta Rylands in memory of her husband John, Manchester’s most successful cotton tycoon.

Manchester Fire Brigade deals with over 500 calls on Bonfire Night

Greater Manchester Fire and Recue Service received around 500 incident calls in just 4 four and a half hours last Monday night.

At least nine people were seriously hurt.

One of these was a teenager who was left with a badly burned face after playing with an aerosol around a lit wheelie bin with five of his friends when it exploded.

The 14 year old was taken to Oldham Royal Hospital.

Buses powered by household waste to take to Manchester’s streets

Arriva Bus UK has invested £2m in a fleet of 21 eco-friendly buses.

They are powered by gases produced by landfill sites and will hit the streets of Manchester next year.

Mike Cooper, managing director of Arriva UK Bus, said: “The buses have been specially designed for the British market and, as they run on bio-gas, provide a carbon-neutral solution to the environmental challenges we face as a transport provider in the 21st century.”