arun-mehta
21st February 2013

The counter-march won’t work – we need to beat the EDL with social media

Arun Mehta explains why he is anti-EDL, but won’t be participating in the counter march this month

On the 2nd of March of this year, Unite Against Fascism will be marching against the English Defence League in a counter demonstration.

To the deep-seated leftist, it’s probably understandable why they consider marching a tool to fight racism. Most marches of decades past have provided a voice to minorities and demonstrated unity among the populace. It also provides a sense of nostalgia to walk in the footsteps of their anti-fascist predecessors.

But given the dramatic fall in EDL numbers and the imprisonment of Stephen Lennon (aka “Tommy Robinson”); what is exactly going to be achieved by once again marching to an anti-racism tunes everybody knows the words to? “Off our streets, nazi scum!” “Smash the BNP!” etc, etc…

Today, the English Defense League or what is left of it, is no more than a gang of drunken, racist ex-football hooligans. The organisation has massively suffered in recent time either through political differences between far-right factions, resignations, and even the arrest and imprisonment of senior members for various criminal offenses. This diminished flock of jaded ignorance are just interested in looking to cause general outrage in the streets rather than stressing their anti-Islamic views.

When it comes to how we deal with fascists and racists in our society, the UAF and I do cross swords on how we should deal with them. They prefer the inactive/reactive approach, while I prefer the constantly informative approach.

I see the UAF regularly handing out flyers to students outside both MMU and Manchester University campuses. This to me translates to preaching to the already converted and is around an 80% waste of resources. Even the most politically abstract student knows that racism and division within society is bad. I still agree with the idea of having stalls at Fresher Weeks. Every society needs to work those dates in order to get new members through the doors, but I believe other leaflet campaigning activities by these enthusiastic anti-fascists would be best saved for areas actually affected by far-right activity. Areas where the British Nation Party, the National Front and others pose a serious threat should be the primary focus of anti-fascist campaigning. I don’t see the Manchester SU with its history of left-wing and hard-left administrations dramatically falling to the far-right any time soon.

In the deep-rooted digital age of 2013 and in the victory era of the social network revolution, the next theatre of anti-fascist activity should be conducted on a virtual battlefield. In my opinion, the best way of fighting off the far-right is not through the sounds of marching feet and loud chanting, but through the wide spread of news, information and most importantly, the facts.

The Hope and Hate Campaign appear in my view to be taking the right direction. Along with providing its own reporting through news and blogs, the site links together the pattern of activities of the BNP, the EDL and various other groups across the country by tracking local newspapers. The social media presence primarily on Facebook and Twitter is also something to note. It sometimes provides running commentary on dramatic events overlooked by the mainstream media. Also, I don’t know many Facebook pages that say goodnight to me my showing me a music video. A pretty cool concept if you ask me.

At one point, some North Manchester communities were nearly in the grip of the BNP through constant scaremongering about immigration falsehoods, introducing anti-multicultural sentiments and using other over-inflated right-wing talking points. The dreaded Ace of Diamonds pub acting as the beacon of division on Oldham Road and even hosted BNP Leader Nick Griffin on most occasions.

Thankfully, that area was lucky. Through a combination of compassionate community groups, radio stations and the famous Nick Griffin PR disaster on BBC Question Time, the BNP were forced onto the back foot. Electoral support for the party dramatically declined and the party constantly struggles to find candidates and money to stand in council wards.

“But what about the British Freedom Party” you may ask? Doesn’t this new party pose a threat? After an investigation through a phone call with the Electoral Commission in London, I was surprised to discover that the EDL’s political wing is no longer a registered political party. This makes EDL members standing in elections impossible unless they stand as independents or other far-right parties; causing more instability for the EDL to function.

It’s self-defeating in a sense to keep constantly feeding into the EDL’s gang mentality with this proposed counter march, which in reality is being led on by the Socialist Worker’s Party. The best thing the students of Manchester could do when the EDL rolls into town, is by getting on with our lives in our proudly multicultural society, and not be intimidated by this minuscule and moronic bunch.