ellen-conlon

Eureka! competition to improve the library experience

Students face a panel of judges to pitch their ideas about how to enhance the library customer experience

Eight Manchester students will face a panel of judges this week, to present their ideas to enhance the library experience at Manchester.

The Eureka! Innovation competition asked students across the university to put forward innovative new concepts or designs to improve the customer experience at the University of Manchester Library.

After hundreds of responses, eight finalists have been chosen: Jacqueline Austin, a PhD Business and Management student, International Relations student Ilan Bajarlia, Jade Brodie, who studies International Management with American Business Studies, Shuping Dang, an Electrical Engineering and Electronics student, Law student Arlana Demlan, Philosophy student Ned O’Sullivan, Max Parker who studies International Management and Artificial Intelligence student Robert White.

Ilan runs his own start up company which provides personalised software via a new digital platform, Jade currently assists in a Keele University project focused on the re-branding of pharmaceutical supplements and Max is President of Manchester University’s AIESEC, a global organisation that transforms students and recent graduates into leaders by running an international exchange programme.

The pitches will be delivered in a ‘Dragon’s Den’ style on the 2nd May and will be hosted by Gadget Show presenter Ortis Deley.

‘We’ve had so many great ideas and we’ve been absolutely delighted by the quality, range, and diversity of entries,’ said competition organiser Nick Campbell.

‘Shortlisting has been tough but it’s now up to the judges to decide which one’s the winner!’

‘As a leading university we’re always seeking improvements. Thankfully, we have some of the world’s leading students with great ideas too!’ he added.

The competition winner will receive vouchers worth £1000 and the library has committed money to scope or implement the winning idea.

Judges of the competition include General Secretary Nick Pringle, Paul Sykes, owner of Paul’s Pies and Steve O’Hare, Manchester Director of Equistone.