Beauty on a budget

Marie Clare Yates talks beauty essentials found in the kitchen…

If you weren’t such a big spender during fresher’s week then it is likely that your bank account is still dazzling thanks to that ever anticipated student loan.  But unfortunately for us (and our beauty regime) all that green will flitter away sooner than we may like. Take a look at these makeshift beauty tricks and tips to ensure that your beauty routine lives on even when your positive bank balance isn’t.

1.     Tea bag toner

Green tea is good for your health. Fact. But did you know that after you brew that lovely bag of antioxidants, you can use the tea bag as a toner? The trick is not to squeeze out the excess and just to dab the tea bag on your face like you would a cotton ball. Allow the tea to dry naturally on your skin and it will clear your spots and also work wonders for oily skin too.

2.     Fairy Liquid nail varnish remover

The part I hate about painting my nails is that I always accidently go ‘outside the lines’ and my fingertips get painted too.  One beauty tip to counteract this problem (and score you some Brownie points with your flat mates too) is to do the washing up after the varnish is dry.  The washing up liquid removes the unwanted nail varnish from around your nail, leaving your nails in perfect condition!

3.     The potato

I’m sure you’ve heard countless times that the cucumber is a natural moisturiser for your skin but did you know that potato slices work just as well? Place raw potato slices over your eyes for 10 minutes to reduce puffiness and dark circles. It works because potatoes contain an enzyme that lightens the skin and the coolness of the (refrigerated) potato leaves you feeling fresher too. Try and do this three times a week and see if you notice a difference!

4.     Orange peel tooth whitening

White teeth look good. Unfortunately for us though, popular drinks such as coffee and cola stain our teeth and there are some scientific uncertainties about the safety of home whitening kits. So how to tackle the yellow teeth situation? Use the inside of an orange peel. Rub the white side of the peel directly onto your teeth and your teeth should become whiter. Be careful though – the citric acid might ware away the enamel on your teeth so be sure to brush them afterwards.

5.     Oatmeal exfoliating scrub  

Exfoliation should play an essential role in your beauty regime; it removes dry skin cells and leaves your skin looking healthy and glowing. Oatmeal has proved not just to be an excellent exfoliant but also an excellent way to tackle acne, sunburn and dehydrated skin. All you have to do is mix one tablespoon of ground oatmeal with one teaspoon of water to make it in to a paste. Rub it gently onto your skin in circular motions and leave it for ten minutes before rinsing.

Decoding the phenomenon: What lies behind celebrities launching beauty brands?

Why are so many celebs leaving the spotlight and reaching into the realm of cosmetics to launch their own beauty brands?

Celebrity style guide #3: Sabrina Carpenter

If you’re looking to recreate Sabrina’s feminine, pop-star style then look no further because we have a guide just for you

On screen style report #6: Charlotte York

What would Park Avenue princess Charlotte York’s style be around the streets of the Upper East Side in 2024? Enter Ralph Lauren, Burberry, and Chanel…

Influencing goes deeper than we think

We think of influencing as simple: someone you like online tells you to buy something, and you do, like the good little consumer that you are. Maybe it’s not that straightforward