elizabeth-gibson

Top 5 Songs… you can “feel” without understanding the lyrics

Elizabeth Gibson shares her foreign language Top 5

1. On ira – Jean-Jacques Goldman

The lyrics of this French ballad are gorgeous; however, it is the unmistakable love and tenderness in Goldman’s voice that define this song.

2. Liekkas – Sofia Jannok

Performed in Sami, a Northern European minority language, this song’s title of “warm” is very apt. The delicate chords spirit you to a cosy fireside.

3. O Anzol – Rádio Macau

This song’s Portuguese lyrics tell a grim tale but the tune is upbeat and incorporates brilliant harmonica work and a beautiful and unique voice.

4. Lluvia al corazón – Mana

The angst and adoration are clear in this Mexican rock track—even if you don’t speak Spanish, it is impossible not to sing along.

5. Dan yuan ren chang jiu – Faye Wong

I first encountered this Chinese love song in Beijing and it still never fails to move me. Simple but sublimely beautiful, as well as haunting.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark