jenny-sterne

Transformation of RBS building gets under way.

The Students’ Union is converting the former RBS space next to Academy 1 into a pop-up shop and flexible events space run by student volunteers

The Students’ Union is converting the former Royal Bank of Scotland building, next to Academy 1, into a pop-up shop and flexible events space for four weeks from the 10th November.

On the 14th October at 4:30pm in Room 2 of the Students’ Union there will be an open meeting for all students who want to be a part of the project. It will be a chance to discuss and organise a program of events and plan the pop-up charity shop.

From the 27th October students will be able to donate clothes to the Students’ Union. The money will be donated to charity and any clothes left over at the end of term will also be donated to charity.

There will also be a series of workshops on upcycling, in order to prepare students who are interested in running the space as a volunteer-led clothes shop.

Alongside the clothes shop they plan to run a variety of events from art fairs to acoustic gigs.

Joel Smith, Activities and Developments Officer said that the key thing about this project is that it’s “all organised by students for students. If that sounds fun then please come along to our meeting and get involved.

“We’re looking for fashion enthusiasts, event planners, volunteers and anyone who has a great idea for the space. This is a great opportunity to try new things, meet people and have a lot of fun making the most of the former bank.

“At the first meeting we’ll be coming up with ideas for the program of events, figuring out how everything will work and electing a committee of students to lead on the project. We’ll also be deciding on a name for the space so if you have any great ideas bring them along.”

The Union, who are in control of what this space will permanently become, hope this month-long conversion will demonstrate the potential of the space as a student-led events area for the foreseeable future.

To suggest a name for this new space follow this link http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/popup. All suggested names will be submitted to the open meeting, which takes place on Tuesday 14th October from 4:30pm. The meeting will create a shortlist that will then be put back out for all students to vote on the final name.

More information on the meeting and the initiative is available on the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/704532406308423/

Greater Manchester Mayoral Hustings held at the Students’ Union

Ahead of the Mayoral election on May 2, the Students’ Union held Mayoral hustings where candidates made their case to students