emily-castles

Live: Orphaned Land

Admiring the activism inherent in Orphaned Land’s performance, Emily Castles weighs up metal’s next big contenders
Live: Orphaned Land
Photo: niv singer @Flickr

Academy 3

5th November

7.5/10

The lyrical preaching of religious unity and anti-war ideology conflicts with the haunting reality that the members of Israeli band, Orphaned Land, face on a daily basis back home. From a country which has faced never-ending wars, the band actively advocate unity.

As singer and founding member Kobi introduces the song ‘Brother’, he dedicates it to all Arabs, claiming that regardless of religion they are all, effectively, of the same descent. This was mirrored in one of the most anticipated and well-received songs ‘All is One’ with Kobi singing “Who cares if you’re a Muslim or a Jew?” complete with his finest Bhangra dance moves. The band equally turned to England for inspiration for the groundbreaking song ‘Truce’ which related to the Christmas day truce of World War One where the two sides stopped war in order to play football; the band expressed their amazement and wonder at such a marvel. The band’s sound is extremely unique: the melodic voice, heavy distortion and Arabic influences make them hard not to love, and impossible to ignore.

Formed in 1991 but only recently securing the current line-up, the Israeli metal heads have been around for some time. It was perhaps their recent winning of the Metal Hammer Golden God Award and mind-blowing performance at Bloodstock Open Air Festival 2014 that led to them falling into the lime light for good. This was around the time that everyone began to take notice. With an incredible, unique sound and powerful and influential lyrics—rarely found in contemporary metal bands—Orphaned Land seem to have exploded onto the metal scene and one can only presume they are going to be huge. Think the next System of a Down!

Interview: Sleaford Mods

Interview: Sleaford Mods

Freya Thomson chats to Sleaford Mods about politics, fame, music, and social media.
Top 5 Kate Bush Albums – Ranked!

Top 5 Kate Bush Albums – Ranked!

Alex Ferguson ranks the best albums from Kate Bush, one of Britain’s most enigmatic and legendary musical artists
Y NOT? Festival 2022: Highlights

Y NOT? Festival 2022: Highlights

Sarah Taylor and Freya Thomson head to the Peaks to review a variety of rock and indie acts including Sleaford Mods and Yard Act.
Kasabian proceed with flare on ‘The Alchemist’s Euphoria’

Alex Cooper reviews the seventh studio album from Kasabian.