dan-whiteley
2nd March 2015

Top 5 songs… your mum probably loves

Dan Whiteley takes a stab at guessing the contents of your mum’s iPod

1. Say What You Want – Texas
Texas’ slick radio-ready tunes seem purpose built for humming along to on the school run; mums were basically issued with a copy of White on Blonde back in 1997 – check the glove compartment, it’s probably still there.

2. Stars – Simply Red
With its soppy lyrics, soaring chorus and silky smooth bassline, this early nineties classic helped turn Mick Hucknall into Manchester’s jazziest ginger lothario. All together now, “And aaaaaaaaaiiiiii wanna fall from the stars…”

3. Handbags and Gladrags – Rod Stewart
Before he settled into his groove of churning out endless beige covers albums, his raspy howl and shaggy lid won the hearts of housewives everywhere, thanks in part to this timeless tearjerker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcNOOkeFiIc

4. Man! I Feel Like A Woman! – Shania Twain
This entry-level feminist anthem was the eighth (eighth!) single from Shania’s eye-wateringly successful Come on Over album, and remains the mum’s karaoke song of choice. Sneak along to her next work do to see for yourself.

5. Dancing in the Moonlight – Toploader
Also known as “the one from that Sainsburys advert with Jamie Oliver”, for whom she most likely also shares a similar fondness. Play that keyboard intro and just watch a beaming smile appear, as if by magic.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark