jacob-evans

Live: This Is The Kit

This Is The Kit’s gentle folk rock makes for an intimate, friendly peformance

The Deaf Institute

5th March

9/10

This is the Kit delivered an intimate, friendly performance showing off their new (so new, it’s not even out yet) album, Bashed Out. After the crowd is suitably warmed up by Rozi Plain (whose band, confusingly, are This is the Kit on slightly different instruments), Kate Stables and her band take the stage to play their own gentle brand of folk rock. Largely a showcase for next month’s Bashed Out, Stables and co. shine throughout, with relatively traditional folk sounds combined with huge, shimmering lead guitar that brings to mind Belle and Sebastian at their most soaring.

The set flies by, with tracks like ‘Misunderstanding’ and ‘Nits’ drifting by in a beautiful haze, whilst apocalypse song ‘Silver John’ moves into louder, grander territory. The music is consistently excellent, but This is the Kit make the evening a magical one through their intimacy with the crowd—they all head into the audience to start chatting after both Plain’s set and their own, and maintain a light-hearted, warm rapport with the crowd throughout. A couple even get engaged during the set, with a wry request from Stables for a member of the crowd to “turn around please,” it’s clear that tour dates with The National have taught the band the art of showmanship.

If there is any criticism, it’s only that the songs all have a largely similar mood, with the tempo only really rising in a couple of songs. But the rarity of the explosions of sound perhaps only make them even more cathartic, and the steady haze the sound tends to stay in is a gorgeous one—a steady, drifting fog that slowly envelops the audience and carries them through Stables’ delicate musings. As the crowd is finally pulled from its reverie after the fan requested first single, ‘Two Wooden Spoons’, it’s clear that This is the Kit have something very special indeed.

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility