josh-arnold

Cleanse, tone, and moisturise: It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3…

Josh Arnold shares some secrets on how to create the perfect skincare routine that won’t leave you out of pocket

Opening a book for the first time after summer is always a shock to the system. The air is filled with the sound of coughs and sniffles as we put the takeaway menus in the bin, brush off our student recipe books and settle back into the routine.

And that includes your skincare. But don’t panic just yet because we’re going back to basics with a loan-friendly, daily routine to keep your face looking as fresh as a fresher on their first day of lectures.

Photo: Boots

1. CLEANSE

First things first, you need to clean off the grime, sweat and makeup that can block pores and causes spots. That means morning and night.

Cleansing wipes only push dirt around your face, so look for a non-foaming cleanser such as the Rose Hydrate Cleansing Cream by Una Brennan (£7.99, Boots) and massage a big blob into dry skin before removing with a clean flannel soaked in warm water. You wouldn’t clean a table with your hands, and the same goes for your face. Plus, the extra exfoliation will only add to your inner beauty. Get enough for a fortnight for around £5 at Primark so you can use a clean one every day.

Photo: Marks & Spencer

2. TONE

When it comes to toning your skin, avoid astringents and alcohol as these will dry out your skin and amplify the effects of tiredness and cold. Instead, look for something with glycolic acid (don’t be scared, acid = good) and get twice the effects for the price of one: While the toner tightens the skin, the acid will work through the day to gently remove dead skin, leaving it looking fresh and restoring its radiance.

If you’re such a BNOC that you don’t have the time to pour out the toner onto a cotton pad, go for the First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads for an ultra-convenient shot of glycolic. Otherwise, saturate a cotton pad with the Pixi Glow Tonic (£18, Marks & Spencer) and sweep across your whole face and neck. One bottle lasts for months and months.

Photo: Boots

3. MOISTURISE

Finally, your best friend during party season and cold weather. For any nay-sayers who claim that you don’t need to moisturise, look at Beyoncé’s skin. We’re pretty sure she moisturises. Look for something super simple such as the Oilatum Natural Repair Face Cream (£7.69, Boots).

3 pampering products for the morning after:

Lansinoh HPA Nipple Cream (£7.87, Boots)

Long nights lead to long days with dry, dry lips and for that you of course need nipple cream. Yes, nipple cream, like this one from Boots. Try it. It will change your life.

Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment (£20, Selfridges)

Prevent dark circles and bags with an eye cream. Apply to your orbital bone (much lower than you think) before moisturising morning and night.

REN Flash Rinse 1 Minute Facial (£32, ASOS)

Finally, for grey-tinged, hungover skin, try this face mask that literally takes one minute. Apply to dry skin before moistening with fingertips and feel the potency of vitamin C activate. Wash off after a minute and see a whole new (more sober-looking) you.

The evolution of Coachella fashion: From glam to casual, has the fun faded?

Looking back at the biggest festival of the year and why it was such a disappointment for fashion fans

On screen style report #8: Samantha Jones

How would the original girlboss, Samantha Jones, tear up Manhattan in 2024? One showstopping look at a time…

The most iconic closets from TV and Film

Closets that never end, closets that pick your outfit for you, and closets controlled with a remote… ah the life of a fictional girlboss

Summer’s best defence: The top five sunscreen picks for your skincare

Shield your skin from harmful UV rays with our top five sunscreen picks; from lightweight formulas to advanced skincare benefits, these sunscreens offer protection and nourishment for summer-ready skin