daniel-saville

Music Beats Mines

A group of University of Manchester students are raising money for the Mines Advisory Group by holding an online auction of literary and music memorabilia
Music Beats Mines
Farmers Aundy and Jumis walk across their paddy fields close to the boundary of a minefiels. Photo: MAG

The Mines Advisory Group (MAG) is a 1997 Nobel Peace Prize winning charity that works in areas and communities affected by landmines, unexploded bombs and weapons left as a legacy of conflict. Students here at the University of Manchester are going to contribute to the cause by holding an online auction of music and literary memorabilia from November 26th to the 6th December.

All money raised will go towards aiding MAG in continuing their work. Last year the auction raised £4500 which helped MAG to clear 3000m² of land, making life safer for communities dealing with the threat of unexploded bombs. Worldwide MAG have cleared over 20 million square meters of land of land mines, directly benefiting 1.1 million men, women and children.

This ‘Music Beats Mines’ auction will be selling items from big names such as The Editors, Scouting for Girls and John Bishop. Anyone looking to place a bid should keep an eye on the fundraisers’ Twitter page @MusicBeatsMines where they will be posting regular updates about the auction which will itself be held on eBay.

UoM PHD student faces backlash over research paper on masturbating to comics of young boys

A PHD student at the University of Manchester has recently come under fire and faced a severe online backlash after a research paper he wrote about masturbating to erotic comics of young boys went viral.