perisha-kudhail

Valentine’s Day Guide for inexperienced romantics

Perisha Kudhail shares her top tips for those less experienced in love and Valentine’s Day surprises.

With Valentine’s Day looming, it’s becoming clear that the cliché approaches aren’t as acceptable as they used to be. Expectations for unique surprises and an improvement on last year’s efforts is enough to make any inexperienced romantic gulp in fear. And so, we have created this uncomplicated guide to help you figure out how to treat your lucky lover this Valentine’s Day.

Just as the go-to for a date is dinner and a movie; the go-to for Valentine’s Day tends to be flowers and chocolates. But don’t think your inexperience is an excuse to stick to the basics. The first rule of thumb is to consider your partner’s interests and personality. If they like being outside, why not take a train to the Peak District? If they like animals, then why not a trip to the zoo? Something personal will always hit the right spot. From notebooks to jewellery, there’s always something that you can leave your mark on.

New experiences are key to discovering new delights, so why not experience something new together? Try a dance class or food tasting. Voucher sites like Groupon or Wowcher mean that you can find a great package deal, without breaking the bank. Look early, though, because if you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail. Even if you don’t go to an activity, you can plan one. From painting together to preparing a delicious feast, by taking into consideration what your partner enjoys, your Valentine’s Day will undoubtedly be a success.

If it’s your first Valentine Day, you should consider a price limit for your plans. Although this doesn’t sound like the most romantic thing in the world, unequal effort from your partner could result in animosity in the relationship. So make sure you both have an understanding that it’s not just one person who makes Valentine’s Day special, and you’ll both have a wonderful time.

The key to success is to listen to your partner and take on board what they like. If they like lovey-dovey things, then go down that route. If they’re more into quirky ventures, then orientate your plans around that. This guide is just the beginning to your Valentine’s potential, so use your imagination and remember it’s not all about the clichés. Try something different and swoop your lover off their feet (perhaps even literally).

Happy Valentine’s Day.