baileypetts

Cruelty free beauty

Want to be certain that your make-up choices are kind to animals? Bailey Petts makes sure you know

As awareness of animal treatment and cruelty grows, people have started altering their lifestyle choices—such as what make-up they choose to buy.

People are beginning to pay attention to how their choices affect the world around them, avoiding products with palm oil as ‘their part’ in controlling the destruction of the rainforests. In the same way that the increased popularity of vegan leather and faux fur has occurred, cruelty free beauty products are becoming more of an interest to women and men.

Many animals are burned, poisoned and killed as a consequence of animal testing. Ever increasingly it is the expected norm that it should be everyone’s objective to help stop animal testing completely.

Consider these popular brands that do test on animals: Avon, Bobbi Brown, Covergirl, Estée Lauder, Head & Shoulders, L’Oréal, M.A.C. Cosmetics, Mary Kay, Maybelline, Pantene, Revlon, stila, TRESemmé.

If you use any of the above products, is there a chance that the list below could offer alternatives? Here are some popular brands that do not test on animals: Anastasia beverly hills, Becca, By terry, Cargo, Charlotte tilbury, Chantecaille, Duwop, Elf, Eyeko, Gosh, Illamasqua, Kat Von D, Korres, Lush, Pixi, Prestige, Rouge Bunny Rouge, Sugar Venom, Tarte Too Faced, Urban Decay.

These brands that do not test on animals ultimately bring forth the question, is it really necessary to test on animals? Why do some brands still, in today’s society, need to use this unethical practice?

It is possible that in the future, all brands will eradicate the use of animal testing and only use ‘safe’ ingredients and find new means of testing such as in-vitro testing. As individuals, we should understand and know which brands are ethical and make a conscious effort to buy from cruelty-free brands.

Vivienne Westwood: The ‘Queen of British Fashion’ and her orb

We take a look at the life and works of the much-loved Dame Vivienne Westwood, from visiting Buckingham Palace commando to telling people not to buy clothes. Who was the Queen of fashion?

Make-up Soc’s guide to Winter glam

Check out the President of Makeup Society’s guide to winter glam makeup for the holiday season this year

In the Beauty Bag #11: Union Affairs Officer Sam Bronheim

Recent graduate and SU representative Sam Bronheim shares her beauty journey, tips she learnt from her mom and makeup bargains

Frosty elf chic: From the runway to TikTok, this seasons Winter trends

Winter trends are back with a boom and this year has seen a real change-up in Winter uniform, taking inspiration from several time periods, weather, and designer favourites from the runway