hannah-brierley

Review: Rubix Cube at Antwerp Mansion

The Mansion’s alternative offering to Pangea

23rd September 2017

As if the students of Manchester needed another excuse to dress up in their finest 80’s and 90’s get up, Antwerp Mansion gave us one more, with their night ‘Rubix Cube’. The disco and funk alternative to battle Pangaea.

The whole night itself reminded me of a psychedelic Doctor Who episode. Like the Tardis, the venue, at first, looks inconspicuous and discreet. For those who have never been, they probably begin to wonder if they’re in the right place at all. Which is one of the things I really like about Antwerp Mansion. This couldn’t, however, be more of the opposite when inside. Rubix Cube opened to be a whole new world which was inhabited with a muddle of creatures with glittery faces, psychedelic body dips and those who had raided their parents’ wardrobes as far as the eye could see.

The music was also a nice change. Most nights held at Antwerp normally fall into the house/techno/electronic genres, and whilst I love dancing to songs that have little to no words in them. I loved being able to sing my heart out to every word of old school classics such as the Eurhythmics, Michael Jackson and Phatts and Small.

This event knew exactly what people wanted and ran with it. The night was a booming success and was such fun from the start right until the last minute. There was honestly something for everyone and surprises around every corner as you ventured through the night. Bouncy castles, 4-foot Rubix cube, pole dancers and confetti cannons ensured that there were consistent surprises until the early hours.

Rubix Cube is returning to Antwerp Mansion on the 21st of October, where it aims to submerge attendees into an ‘electric dreams’ dystopian theme, still keeping the retro 80’s/90’s concept, as Halloween fast approaches

Antwerp Mansion has also undergone some lovely little developments now these days too — they finally have doors in their bathrooms. (Hoorah!)

Buy Tickets for the second installment of Rubix Cube here

https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Manchester/Antwerp-Mansion/Rubix-Cubes-Electric-Dreams-W-Psychedelic-dip-crew-/13060230/

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark