yasmin-duggal

Why you should see City Calm Down tomorrow

The Melbourne four-piece play Soup Kitchen on Tuesday 28th November

Everyone loves watching new music, right? Well Manchester’s Soup Kitchen are tomorrow hosting Melbourne four-piece, City Calm Down, and it is not to be missed.

I OH YOU Records are thrilled to announce ‘In This Modern Land’, the new single from the band and the latest track to be revealed from the band’s highly anticipated second album.

Two years on from their debut, ‘In A Restless House’, Jack Bourke, Jeremy Sonnenberg, Sam Mullaly, and Lee Armstrong return with the band’s latest offering; soaring synths and horns; an exuberant and bold crescendo; and all cemented by Bourke’s striking, unmistakable baritone.

During ‘In This Modern Land’, front man Bourke adopts the perspective of a person coming to terms with, and perhaps embracing, their own social isolation. Contrasted with the soaring instrumentation and melodies, the lyrics highlight the growing disconnect between Bourke and his surroundings.

Since the band’s early EP Movements, and their acclaimed 2015 debut, City Calm Down have paved the way for their forthcoming second album – which will see a worldwide release in early 2018 – with a run of singles achieving over four million streams.

Recorded in Melbourne with long-time producer Malcolm Beasley, expect an album that explores the emotional idiosyncrasies of our modern, changing world, rendered in glistening keyboards, chugging guitars and triumphant horns.

With multiple sold-out tours and appearances at major festivals, City Calm Down have also performed with Alt-J, Chvrches, Bombay Bicycle Club and more. In February 2018 they will undertake another national Australian trek as part of the Laneway Festival alongside the likes of Dream Wife, Father John Misty, Slowdive, The War on Drugs and Wold Alice.

If you get a chance tomorrow, nip down to Soup Kitchen and see what these guys are about; it’ll be worth your while.

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark

Alive! Festival 3.0: Students’ Union solstice takeover lets the light in

Alive! Festival took over the Students’ Union for the third time, with the student-run event expanding its horizons over five stages featuring bands, DJs, talks, comedy, gameshows, and a Silent Disco

Live at Leeds in the Park: New discoveries and festival favourites

Was it the indie mainstays or the peppering of pop that stole the show at 2024’s Live at Leeds? Find out what went down here

The Magic Gang live in Manchester: A magical farewell from the indie darlings

After announcing that they would be calling time on the band, Brighton indie darlings The Magic Gang bring an electrifying farewell set to Manchester’s New Century Hall