rosa-simonet

‘Sleepout’ against homelessness to take place this March

Take action against homelessness and camp out with RAG Manchester
Photo: Manchester RAG

After being postponed in November 2017, Manchester Raise And Give (RAG) are finally able to stage their annual ‘Sleepout’.

Taking place at St Peter’s House Chaplaincy on the 2nd of March, the event will involve members of the society camping out overnight to put themselves in the shoes of the increasing number of homeless people in Manchester.

Olly Goldsmith, Chair of Manchester RAG told The Mancunion that, “the number of homeless people rose by 30 per cent in Manchester from July 2016-May 2017 and 4,428 people do not have a permanent roof above their heads.”

The event launch follows a recent Manchester Evening News story revealing that “rough sleeping in the city had rocketed 13-fold since 2010.”

In light of these figures, Olly expressed that he didn’t believe students were doing enough.

He said: “most students fail to take any action to address this issue, or support the work of the incredible charities that are vital to live saving work done on the streets of Manchester.”

Ellen Exley, Sleepout coordinator,  provides details of the event, stating:

“Participants will be involved in a range of activities designed to help them to learn more about homelessness in Manchester and find out about the organisations working to tackle the issue.”

Their is a minumun fundraising target of £60, the “lowest of all RAG’s events”

Money raised will be distributed equally amoung three local homeless charities: Manchester Action on Street Health (MASH), Barnabus and The Big Change Fund.

RAG are holding an information session on the 21st of February, 6-6:30pm in SU Room three.

Tickets cost £10 and are available from the Manchester RAG website.