aishaaljanabi

MANIFF: A Great Day in Paris

A Great Day in Paris follows American jazz musicians living in Paris, of which around 70 gathered in Montmartre for a commemorative photograph in 2008.
MANIFF: A Great Day in Paris
photo courtesy Michka Saäl

A Great Day in Paris is a documentary about jazz musicians in Paris, of which around 70 gathered in Montmartre for a commemorative photograph in 2008.

This photo came to be because of Ricky Ford, a saxophonist, who wanted to create a permanent record of their presence and community. It was heart-warming to see the footage from this day, with friends reuniting and exchanging endless hugs.

Throughout the film we come back to this scene in 2008 which centres the interviews which would otherwise not have an over-arching narrative. Each interview is unique as each musician reminisces about their own experiences, and their decision to move away from America and to Paris.

Interjecting these interviews are scenes of performances and the camera work here really captures the physicality of a musician; watching them move,  their ever-changing facial expressions with beads of sweat rolling down their faces was mesmerising  to watch. Mark Foss, husband of Michka Saäl the director of the film, mentioned that Michka wanted to give the musicians the respect they deserve, instead of side-lining their music, which was definitely achieved in this film.

This film intimately preserves individual lives of each musician and will remain to be valuable archive footage of this community.

3/5.

The 5th Manchester Film Festival is taking place at the ODEON Great Northern from 2nd March to 10th March 2019.

Babylon: Chazelle’s love letter to Hollywood

Damien Chazelle’s obsession with the glamour of Hollywood is taken to new heights in his new film Babylon.

Tár review: Power perverts art

Todd Field’s thrilling Tár is a refreshing take on the obsessed artist trope featuring a captivating performance by Cate Blanchett

Global Cinema Series: Touching Down in Japan

The Mancunion film team explore how Japanese film has captured audiences’ imagination and examines Japan as a titan of global cinema

HOME’s homage to Julie Christie this British Film Stars season

HOME cinema embraces the Swinging Sixties with an ode to Julie Christie during its British Film Stars season