annajin

A guy’s guide to wearing jewellery

Fashion writer Anna Jin outlines easy ways for men to wear different types of jewellery
A guy’s guide to wearing jewellery
Photo by Hunters Race @ Unsplash

Charles I was executed wearing a pearl earring. Bracelets for men date as far back as 3000 BC. Throughout history, it was common for both men and women to decorate their bodies with jewellery. It is only during the past two centuries that it has become less common for men to wear it, other than a simple wristwatch.

However, it is becoming increasingly common for men to wear jewellery, which is great as it can be a powerful way to express your personality and to distinguish yourself from the crowd. In addition, these pieces are often long-lasting as most jewellery is timeless.

If you’d like to start wearing jewellery more, but don’t know where to start, here’s a guide on how to incorporate some classic or statement pieces into your look.

Necklaces

Necklaces or chains can be the ultimate statement piece, so it is important to choose one that resonates with your personality. Necklaces can easily look overpowering, so it’s advised to choose a length and thickness proportionate to your body type. For example, someone with a wider shape might suit a thicker chain.

Bracelets

Bracelets are easy to wear and can be the perfect place to start when it comes to wearing jewellery. Bracelets are an effortless way to give an edge to a basic uni outfit, and they can be easily styled up or down to fit the occasion.

A minimalistic metal band will build upon a classic sense style, or try stacking multiple bracelets of different textures together for a rough, layered effect. Avoid chunky bands as they are not only unflattering but can be uncomfortable to wear.

Watches

When talking about wristwear, it is impossible to ignore the most popular of jewellery for men, the watch, where style meets practicality. Since watches are the most common form of accessory, there are few rules in regard to styling them, because their versatility provides freedom for personal expression and experimentation. However, it is always a good idea to wear a watch that fits well, as it makes them look more expensive.

Rings

Lastly, we come to rings, which have spiked in popularity with the resurgence of the signet ring. With practicality in mind, less is more. A slim ring will instantly add to an outfit and has the added advantage of being lightweight so you can go about your life without even thinking about it.

One last thing to remember: when it comes to jewellery, balance is key. If you’re wearing a watch or some rings on one hand, stack some bracelets on the other. Happy styling!

Anna Jin

Anna Jin

Instagram & Twitter: @annahanjin

Make-up Soc’s guide to Winter glam

Check out the President of Makeup Society’s guide to winter glam makeup for the holiday season this year

In the Beauty Bag #11: Union Affairs Officer Sam Bronheim

Recent graduate and SU representative Sam Bronheim shares her beauty journey, tips she learnt from her mom and makeup bargains

Frosty elf chic: From the runway to TikTok, this seasons Winter trends

Winter trends are back with a boom and this year has seen a real change-up in Winter uniform, taking inspiration from several time periods, weather, and designer favourites from the runway

Beauty advent calendars: The best of this year

Whether you are a makeup head, skincare junkie or self-care queen, have fun counting down to Christmas with these advent calendars. Here are The  Mancuion’s beauty team suggestions