jaydarcy

Manchester Opera House gets ready to cut loose

Footloose, the musical based on the film of the same name, plays at the Opera House, starring Jake Quickenden and Darren Day

Following two critically acclaimed tours and a West End run, Footloose is back and better than ever, starring the incredible Jake Quickenden as Willard and the legendary Darren Day as Reverend Moore.

Best-known for his appearances on reality TV shows (The X Factor, I’m a Celeb, Dancing on Ice), Quickenden has recently made the move to acting. As well as starring in Hollyoaks, he starred in two pantomimes before taking on the role of Berger in Hair. Footloose will be his second go at musical theatre, and he told me that he is excited to do more.

Similarly, Day is both a TV presenter and a star of numerous West End and touring shows.

Based on the 1984 screen sensation of the same name, which was remade in 2011, Footloose showcases the very best of UK musical talent. The musical features cutting-edge modern choreography and classic 80s hits such as Almost Paradise, Holding Out for a Hero, Let’s Hear It For The Boy, and, of course, the unforgettable title song.

“City boy Ren thinks life is bad enough when he’s forced to move to a rural backwater in America. But his world comes to a standstill when he arrives at Bomont to find dancing and rock music are banned. Taking matters into his own hands, soon Ren has all hell breaking loose and the whole town on its feet.”

Footloose plays at Manchester Opera house from 25th February until 5th March before continuing its UK tour throughout 2022. For more Footloose content, check out our interview with Jake Quickenden!

Jay Darcy

Jay Darcy

Theatre Editor. Instagram & Twitter: @jaydarcy7. Email: [email protected]

Review: Oti Mabuse – I Am Here

Review: Oti Mabuse – I Am Here

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Oti Mabuse’s I Am Here at the Lowry
The Lady Boys of Trafford

The Lady Boys of Trafford

The Lady Boys of Bangkok (complete with the newly made-over Sabai Pavilion) comes to the Trafford Centre as part of its brand-new Summer of Fun UK tour
The Boys are coming to the Bridgewater Hall

Here Come The Boys, which stars Strictly Come Dancing’s Graziano, Nadiya, Nikita Pasha and Karim, is coming to the Bridgewater Hall
There’s been a Double Murder at HOME

There’s been a Double Murder at HOME

Hofesh Shechter Company (lead by Hofesh Shechter, OBE) returns to HOME with Double Murder – a double bill made up of Clowns and The Fix