maxhalton

BAD DREAMS at New Century Hall: All you need to know

Everything you need to know about BAD DREAMS ahead of the eleven band extravaganza at the end of May
Credit: Now Wave

Kickstarting Manchester’s jam-packed summer of music, the late May bank holiday weekend will see the first instalment of BAD DREAMS, a new “annual happening,” with two irresistible alternative all-dayers at New Century Hall.

The first, on Friday May 24, promises a five-band bill of dreamy, psych-y, hazy alt-rock, and indie-pop from international artists and local talent alike. The day will open with the nineties-inspired introspective shoegaze of Manchester’s own TTSSFU, whose February EP Me, Jed and Andy earned them radio play from KEXP and BBC Radio 6 Music as well as a support slot alongside Soccer Mommy later this year.

From across the pond, Brooklyn’s Slow Fiction promise a more snarling, punchy indie-rock set on the release day of their upcoming EP Crush.  Ducks Ltd. will follow with jangly, bittersweet, DIY indie-pop fresh from Toronto along with Australia’s pleasingly mellow psychedelic surf-rockers Babe Rainbow.

Headlining Friday night are Crumb, Brooklyn’s premier dreamy, psychedelic neo-soul outfit, performing their first gig after the release of their third album AMAMA earlier in May. They’re ready to turn New Century into one great haze of trip-hop drums and floating guitars to finish the night.

Credit: Now Wave

In contrast, May 27’s Bank Holiday Monday bill offers up the harsher side of alternative. The day starts with sets from DEAFDEAFDEAF, Manchester’s self-styled “independent post-something band,” fellow North West alt-rockers Déjà Vega, and Cardiff feminist punks Panic Shack.

Fresh off the back of two sold-out hometown shows at The White Hotel in April and their new Connla’s Wall EP, surprise international sensations Maruja promise to offer the most brutal saxophone riffs all weekend amidst their gnashing break-beat post-punk. Model/Actriz also bring their queer industrial noise-rock thundering down on New Century for the second-to-last performance of the day.

Closing out the weekend are New York art-punks BODEGA, wrapping up the festivities with their angular, acerbic, and compelling post-punk. They’ll give the UK a taste of their fifth album Our Brand Could Be Yr Life for the first time.

BAD DREAMS takes place on May 24 and 27 at New Century Hall, with both single-day and two-day tickets available. More information here.

Max Halton

Max Halton

Max is doing a masters in Gender, Sexuality, and Culture, and distracts herself from this by writing about how great live music is.

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility

bar italia live in Manchester: An embrace from ‘Tracey Denim’ and ‘The Twits’

bar italia gets the crowd ‘punkt’ with a fruitful return at Manchester’s Band on the Wall, sustaining their reputability after two successful albums

Big Foot’s EP ‘Smir’: Is the Activities and Culture Officer’s music any good?

Robbie Beale was elected because of his work with GABS. But how good is his band’s music?