music

Live: Dutch Uncles @ Night and Day Cafe

About to embark on the well trodden path to Mancunion music fame are local 5 piece Dutch Uncles. Coming up in a complete new wave of Manchester electronic/dance sound, Dutch Uncles are not mere replicas of current successes, but act as a complement to this ever growing landscape. The Night & Day Café served as […]

About to embark on the well trodden path to Mancunion music fame are local 5 piece Dutch Uncles. Coming up in a complete new wave of Manchester electronic/dance sound, Dutch Uncles are not mere replicas of current successes, but act as a complement to this ever growing landscape. The Night & Day Café served as a dimension the band have grown accustomed to over recent years. However tonight is different, signifying somewhat of a new start. Having released their 2009 self titled debut only in Germany the band have just signed to Memphis Industries, home of The Go Team & Tokyo Police Club, in the UK. As they take to the stage the somewhat leisurely crowd suddenly become assertive, ready to see what ‘Dutch Uncles Chapter 2’ has to offer. Opener and former single ‘Face In’ sets the tone for the evening, its music quick & infectious with vocals distinctive & smooth. Now leaning towards new material the ‘Duncles’ showcase an instrument addition – the synth – while maintaining their attention-grabbing riffs and interesting lyrics. Clear no more so than on new single ‘Fragrant’, which injects a new energy midway through the set, while the memorable hook from set closer ‘The Ink’ even forces a foot tap from those lurking at the bar. Overall it’s clever: a characteristic these guys carry in abundance.

Jack Salisbury