music
22nd February 2011

Album: Iron & Wine – Kiss Each Other Clean

Before listening to this album, my only previous encounter with Iron & Wine was via the overly twee ballad ‘Such Great Heights’, courtesy of the Garden State soundtrack. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised by the overall content of Kiss Each Other Clean.

Iron & Wine
Kiss Each Other Clean
4AD
3 stars

Before listening to this album, my only previous encounter with Iron & Wine was via the overly twee ballad ‘Such Great Heights’, courtesy of the Garden State soundtrack. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised by the overall content of Kiss Each Other Clean

What is initially good about it, is that every song sounds a little bit different from the last.  Opener, ‘Walking Far From Home’, has a simple beauty about it, mostly down to Sam Beam’s angelic vocals and the cooing background harmonies. Compare this to ‘Big Burned Hand’ and the album starts to tell another story – one of jazz funk basslines, synths, an electric organ and a saxophone, all melding into a sound that could be described as avant-guard. The wide range of sounds Beam explores is what gives this album its charm.

Kiss Each Other Clean is not, however, without its flaws. For a start, some of it is boring. ‘Tree By The River’, for example, is middle of the road in every respect, as is ‘Glad Man Singing’, and even after several plays, it becomes a struggle to remember what the less stand out tracks actually sounded like. Having said this, it is the pious lyrics that I really take issue with. ‘Tree By The River’ formulaically drones on about lost innocence when we had the “sun on our faces”. As Beam himself says in the lyrics, he was ‘coy’, and this song is certainly that. It’s also rather dull while ‘Godless Brother In Love’ comes across as self-riotous. Consequently, I get nothing of the apparent loss and pain we are supposed to be hearing in Beam’s words.
Musically then, the album is good. I just don’t care much for its lyrics.

Emily Talbot

Tom Odell live in Manchester: A triumphant return to the O2 Apollo

Armed with a newfound sense of freedom, ‘Another Love’ star Tom Odell returns to Manchester with an electric display of his latest album Black Friday

The Smile live at BBC Radio 6 Music Festival: Contagious follow-up project impresses Manchester

Fans gather to see the much-anticipated Radiohead follow-up project The Smile headlining the Radio 6 Music festival in Manchester’s O2 Victoria Warehouse

Liam Gallagher and John Squire live in Manchester: ‘Growing old disgracefully’ in the best way possible

Oasis’ Liam Gallagher teams up with boyhood guitar hero John Squire of The Stone Roses to deliver psychedelic raucousness in Manchester

This Feeling live in Manchester: Rivia, The Stride, and Kyris take Off the Square

META – This Feeling’s latest Manchester outing showcases three guitar bands with big futures