anthony-organ

Man who died chasing thief: suspect found

A man has been arrested for theft after David Schofield died chasing the thief who stole his mobile phone

A man has been arrested on suspicion of stealing a mobile phone from a student moments before a bus hit the victim.

David Schofield was knocked down and killed on Oxford Road while chasing a thief who stole his mobile phone.

The suspected thief was arrested after one of Mr Schofield’s friends noticed she had been deleted from his BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) contacts. She sent a message to the phone asking to be added as a friend.

The friend request was acknowledged and the person sent a picture and the name “Berry”. After sending a response detailing Mr Schofield’s death and the theft of the phone, she was deleted again and her number blocked.

The suspect appears to have handed himself in: police said he walked into Longsight police station on 21st September and was arrested on suspicion of theft. They questioned him and released him on bail.

Mr Schofield died the day after being knocked down. Over 220 people attended a vigil a week after his death at the scene of the accident.

Two women told the bus driver that Mr Schofield had been the victim of a theft shortly before the collision. Police have been unable to find the women. CCTV footage shows Mr Schofield chasing a man on a bicycle.

Universally Manchester festival: details released for the bicentenary celebrations

The bicentenary festival is set to run from June 6 to 9 with 150+ events across campus

Students’ Union will not adopt a BDS policy despite vote in favour

The motion, voted for by students in December 2023, passed with 89.6% of students voting in favour and would have resulted in the Students’ Union adopting BDS policy

Pro-Palestine protest escalates as police forcibly remove protestors

The ongoing Pro-Palestine protest against the University heats up as Police are called in to move protestors, while the SU attempts to mediate the dispute