anthony-organ

Man who died chasing thief: suspect found

A man has been arrested for theft after David Schofield died chasing the thief who stole his mobile phone

A man has been arrested on suspicion of stealing a mobile phone from a student moments before a bus hit the victim.

David Schofield was knocked down and killed on Oxford Road while chasing a thief who stole his mobile phone.

The suspected thief was arrested after one of Mr Schofield’s friends noticed she had been deleted from his BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) contacts. She sent a message to the phone asking to be added as a friend.

The friend request was acknowledged and the person sent a picture and the name “Berry”. After sending a response detailing Mr Schofield’s death and the theft of the phone, she was deleted again and her number blocked.

The suspect appears to have handed himself in: police said he walked into Longsight police station on 21st September and was arrested on suspicion of theft. They questioned him and released him on bail.

Mr Schofield died the day after being knocked down. Over 220 people attended a vigil a week after his death at the scene of the accident.

Two women told the bus driver that Mr Schofield had been the victim of a theft shortly before the collision. Police have been unable to find the women. CCTV footage shows Mr Schofield chasing a man on a bicycle.

University confirm potential graduation delays

An email update from The Faculty of Humanities confirms potential delays to graduation and their efforts to minimise the impact on students

Local elections 2023: Fallowfield still has lowest turnout in Manchester

Fallowfield still has the lowest voter turnout in Manchester whilst the Greens and Lib Dems made gains – here’s a full breakdown of Manchester’s Local elections 2023.

The University of Manchester’s Rent Strike marches on

The University of Manchester rent strike rumbles on as tensions between UoM Rent Strike and university bosses continue to simmer

Pole and Burlesque Soc rehearsal labelled ‘degrading’ by senior staff member

During a rescheduled rehearsal outside the AGLC, two members of the Pole and Burlesque Society were attacked for their outfits and activity by a member of staff.