tom-hickman

Preview: Optimus Alive Festival

If you want a week in the sun, away from the pilled up Eastern European destinations, Optimus Alive must be the choice.

Optimus Alive
13-15th August
Lisbon, Portugal

Tickets: £103 with camping

Only five years since its inception, Optimus Alive is fast becoming one of Europe’s biggest festivals. This really can come as no surprise, considering that The Cure, The Stone Roses and Radiohead have already been penned in as headliners this year.

Okay, there is more than your fair share of standard landfill indie, and criticisms can come with regards to the cheesy nature of the bill, as Noah and the Whale, The Kooks, and Snow Patrol find themselves on the main stage. Nevertheless, the line-up possesses more than enough big name attractions.

Electronic heavyweights come in the form of Justice and Caribou, whilst respectable riffs come from The Kills and The Maccabees. More electro-pop is scattered across the three days as Metronomy, SBTRKT, Santigold, and Sebastian display the depth of talent on show at the main stages throughout the weekend. Throw into the mix the £103 ticket price and the nigh-on guarantee of great weather, you’d be mad to miss it.

Choosing your summer festival destination is undeniably one of life’s toughest decisions. Even so, if you want a week in the sun, away from the pilled up Eastern European destinations, Optimus Alive must be the choice.

Visit the Optimus Alive website for more details.

Tom Hickman

Tom Hickman

Music Editor.

Live review: Renée Rapp at the O2 Apollo

On the heels of her recent success as Regina George in the Mean Girls reboot, Renée Rapp performed in Manchester for the first time and what a night it was

Album review: The Foyer Project – In: Static

Dark, dramatic, devastating: the experimental, UoM-student-produced album has been remixed and reissued alongside a selection of previously-unreleased tracks

Everything Everything: “I’m just trying to reflect the effect of this system on humanity”

In advance of ‘Mountainhead’, Jonathan from Everything Everything talks to us about Manchester bands, capitalist realism, Stockport, and staying experimental

The 1975 live in Manchester: A romantic night at the arena

British pop-rock band, The 1975, brought their highly talked about ‘At their very best’ show back to the UK after a year, rebranded as ‘Still…At their very best’