tom-hickman

Preview: Optimus Alive Festival

If you want a week in the sun, away from the pilled up Eastern European destinations, Optimus Alive must be the choice.

Optimus Alive
13-15th August
Lisbon, Portugal

Tickets: £103 with camping

Only five years since its inception, Optimus Alive is fast becoming one of Europe’s biggest festivals. This really can come as no surprise, considering that The Cure, The Stone Roses and Radiohead have already been penned in as headliners this year.

Okay, there is more than your fair share of standard landfill indie, and criticisms can come with regards to the cheesy nature of the bill, as Noah and the Whale, The Kooks, and Snow Patrol find themselves on the main stage. Nevertheless, the line-up possesses more than enough big name attractions.

Electronic heavyweights come in the form of Justice and Caribou, whilst respectable riffs come from The Kills and The Maccabees. More electro-pop is scattered across the three days as Metronomy, SBTRKT, Santigold, and Sebastian display the depth of talent on show at the main stages throughout the weekend. Throw into the mix the £103 ticket price and the nigh-on guarantee of great weather, you’d be mad to miss it.

Choosing your summer festival destination is undeniably one of life’s toughest decisions. Even so, if you want a week in the sun, away from the pilled up Eastern European destinations, Optimus Alive must be the choice.

Visit the Optimus Alive website for more details.

Tom Hickman

Tom Hickman

Music Editor.

Album review: Maja Lena pushes her musical boundaries on PLUTO

Maja Lena’s winning combination of folk drawing on electronic elements transports us to an imagined planet

Mogwai: “I feel our music, to the music world, is like a Louis Theroux documentary”

The Mancunion talk to Mogwai’s Barry Burns about the band’s 25 year career, spanning powerful live shows and soaring film scores

Pop for a Dying Planet: CMAT shares new single Mayday

A deep dive into the latest track, ‘Mayday’, from Irish singer-songwriter and rising star CMAT

Shakira vs. Piqué: A deep dive into the diss track of the decade

The Mancunion explore Shakira’s legacy as the Queen of Latin Pop and the impact of her new diss track against Pique