tom-ingham
3rd October 2012

It’s my party, and I’ll play Shaggy if I want to

Tom Ingham explores the concept of guilty pleasures, and whether we should be embarrassed by them.

A person’s music collection is a very personal thing; a whole source of feelings, emotions and special memories. However, there comes a time when these cherished songs are thrust into the spotlight and put to public trial. At one time or another, whether it’s with flatmates or at a dinner party, someone is required to provide music to fill those awkward pockets of empty conversation. The question is, are we brave enough to step forward and be that provider with the knowledge that we’re housing the greatest hits of a certain Shania Twain!

For most people a guilty pleasure is something terribly unfashionable and cheesy (take any power ballad), or it’s a song choice you wouldn’t associate with a certain person i.e. a plasterer who happens to enjoy a bit of Donna Summers after work. So by those guidelines, I should never take my iPod to a social situation again. But I do, and I do so with pride.

Doing a quick shuffle on my iPod, the first five artists are; Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin, The Libertines, Barry White and Jane’s Addiction. In just four turns, the sexual walrus that is Barry White has been brought to attention. As a mild mannered, 19 year old, white mancunian this may seem a bit odd – even silly. But I say to you that there is nothing wrong with toe tapping to ‘Let The Music Play’ on the bus, this is one pleasure that I have no guilt in admitting. So what I say to you good people is embrace all music, don’t tell people it’s your mum’s Ultravox CD, be proud of all your tastes. I admit, Bazza isn’t the best, but if you happen to run into a Barry-aficionado of the opposite sex in a bar you’re quids in! You say guilty pleasure, I say well-rounded.

Tom Ingham

Tom Ingham

Music Editor

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark