matthew-zimmer

Live: Fun. at Academy 1

Fun. turn in a strong performance that’s more than the sum of its parts
Live: Fun. at Academy 1

“You only live once. That’s a phrase, not an abbreviation,” announced Nate Reuss, front-man of the indie pop group, Fun (stylised as “fun.”), to the audience at the Academy last Sunday. This phrase seems totally apt for this New York based group, whose struggle for a recognised place in the music world has only recently begun to bear fruit.

The success of their single, ‘We are Young’ was repeated shortly after its release by the success of ‘Some Nights’, but these two tracks are gems lodged in a fairly dull songbook.

In a post-Glee society, Fun’s repetitive and unoriginal tracks certainly have a place in the music world, but it’s a seat near the back. ‘We are Young’ and ‘Some Nights’ have earned them a chair nearer the front. How long they’ll stay there is anyone’s guess, but given the quality of their performance last week, they may be around for a while.

Fun’s fan base was out in force, and the band didn’t disappoint. With a warm up from the Ohio-based quartet, ‘Walk the Moon’, Reuss and co proved they know how to get a crowd going.

Reuss’s energy on stage is brilliant to watch, as is the enthusiasm of his bandmates, and it’s almost impossible not to get sucked into the fun-loving (no pun intended, honestly) uproar of ‘Some Nights’, which the band played as an encore.

‘We are Young’ and ‘It Gets Better’ were also highlights, but the surprise triumph of the night was an impressive cover of ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’, that Rolling Stones classic.

This band can put on a great show, and if they can polish up their songbook, they will be unmissable. At the moment, however, they are simply well worth a watch – and no more than that.

Live Review: Lea Salonga at Bridgewater Hall

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Lea Salonga’s Dream Again Tour at the Bridgewater Hall
Live Review: Peaches brings her Teaches to Manchester

Head Music Editor Sarah Taylor reviews Peaches’ stop at the O2 Ritz on her Teaches of Peaches 20th anniversary tour.
Live Review: Horsegirl at YES Manchester

Kevin Thomas reviews Horsegirl’s enthralling show at YES Manchester
Saint Etienne Live Review: Back with a splash

Izzy Langhamer reviews the latest ‘Saint Etienne’ gig, which saw them perform latest releases from ‘I’ve Been Trying To Tell You’, as well as fan favourites and 90s hits