sophie-wozencraft

Ren Harvieu – Live review

HMV Ritz 9th October 9.5/10

Having seen Salford-born Ren Harvieu perform numerous times prior to this gig, I was sceptical as to whether she would fare well in a larger venue than her previous haunts – for example, Manchester’s Ruby Lounge – as I thought the intensity and intimacy of her previous shows could easily be lost to a larger space. As soon as the cool tranquillity of the piano/mirror ball entrance began, however, I knew I would be proven wrong.

The classy and sassy ‘Tonight’ proved a strong opening that led into the popular single ‘Through the Night’, after which she proceeded to wave to friends and family in the audience. It was at this point, when I glanced at the packed floor and balconies, I questioned whether the 22 year old quite realised the extent of her ever growing fame, and her humorous, almost awkward, stage demeanour instantly won her the hearts of her audience for the rest of the evening. The set continued with a masterful mix of soulful and jazzy numbers, heartbreaking confessionals and piano accompanied ballads. Then came her acclaimed cover of Roy Orbison’s ‘Crying’. The ethereal lighting and delayed, simplistic sound of keyboards filled the space, with her soaring yet stunningly delicate vocals intoxicating the room, reducing some audience members to tears of previously untapped sympathetic heartache.

The set finished with her album opener, ‘Open up Your Arms’, which was greeted with a torrent of cheers, claps and a thirst for more. Her impromptu encore, consisting of George Harrison’s infamous ‘Something’, wooed the majority, ending the evening with a good old fashioned sing-a-long. And so, after undoubtedly adding a touch of class to the Manchester music scene, this concert cemented  Ren’s fans’ love for, and faith in, her refreshing musical style.

Zara Larsson live in Manchester: Bringing ‘VENUS’ to Manchester’s Academy

Swedish pop sensation Zara Larsson returns to Manchester to headline the Academy after the release of her newest LP, ‘Venus’

The Last Dinner Party – Prelude to Ecstasy: A stellar debut from the UK’s most exciting new act

The Last Dinner Party cement their place as one of the most innovative up-and-coming bands in the UK, showcasing operatic vocals and evocative lyrics on their debut LP

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes live in Manchester: An ecstatic night of rock with the ‘Man of The Hour’

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes return to Manchester Academy after two years, bringing a night of moshpits and mayhem

Laufey live in Manchester: A Valentine’s night ‘bewitched’ by musical charm

Following her recent Grammy victory, Laufey takes the stage for a very special sold-out Valentine’s Day show at Manchester’s Albert Hall