rachel-heward

Student run self help

An organisation to support students with eating disorders throughout UK universities.

Student Run Self Help (SRSH) is a country wide organisation that runs peer support sessions for students with eating disorders throughout UK universities.

I spoke to Laura Saunders from the group, who explained, “We work to support students and young people with eating disorders and encourage them to talk about issues they are facing as well as supporting one another. They receive support from two students who are trained facilitators that run each session, as well as other students who suffer from eating disorders.”

It is extremely important that eating disorders are recognised in universities, and students suffering know where to go and who to talk to if they want to. A recent survey from the University of Cincinnati revealed the challenges among university students in recognising the warning signs that lead to eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia. While most students were able to identify risk factors such as depression and anxiety, less were able to recognise that situational events such as a recent life change or criticism from a friend or family member can also lead to the disorders.

The survey exposed that females were much more familiar than males with the warning signs of disordered eating such as purging, unexplained weight loss, and distorted body image. It was also noted that some students mistook an eating disorder as a sign of vanity, when it is actually a serious compulsive behaviour that is often used as a coping mechanism for stress.

SRSH are also in association with eating disorder charity B-eat. Their aims are to change the way people think and talk about eating disorders, to improve the way services and treatment are provided and to help anyone believe that their eating disorder can be beaten. Visit www.b-eat.co.uk for more information, support and opportunities to volunteer and fundraise.

Students suffering from eating disorders can go to the SRSH meetings as frequently as they want. They run support sessions every two weeks in room four of the Students’ Union at 6.30. The next meeting is Monday 29 October.

You can get involved and volunteer with SRSH by becoming trained as a facilitator to run the group sessions as well as helping out with advertising, awareness and fundraising.

For more information about volunteering, or if you need help or advice concerning eating disorders, email [email protected].

In conversation with the Feminist Collective: “It’s about making sure that no one’s voice goes unheard”

The Mancunion sat down with the University of Manchester’s Feminist Collective to talk about their society values, their plans for the year ahead, and intersectional feminism

Review: Tiramisu (UMDS)

Tiramisu, which was performed at the University of Manchester SU, is an excellently existential adaptation of Annie Baker’s The Antipodes

Review: Skies in the Cloud (UMDS)

Skies in the Cloud exhibits intimate and ethereal themes, showcasing the talent of UMDS students

Review: Stump (UMDS)

The Mancunion reviews Stum, performed by the University of Manchester Drama Society at The Brewers in Gay Village