helen-gavin

Christie Cup swan song for netball teams

Leavers go out with a bang against Leeds and Liverpool

The Armitage was filled with a combined atmosphere of energy and nerves with the purple banners of the Christie Cup reminding everyone, not that they needed it, of the importance of the day’s events.

The first game, Manchester 2nds –v- Liverpool 2nds gave hope of a promising day ahead as it was exceptionally close throughout. Manchester took an early lead which was perhaps expected however they were unable to maintain their efforts and Liverpool came back with a great fight. The teams at the end looked evenly matched and so was the score line as it was set to be an eventful draw. However, a controversial and dramatic ending, which saw the umpire blow for full time but allow a goal scored after the whistle to be counted, let Liverpool take the game by 25 goals to 24. This decision was to the utter dismay of both players and supports and unfortunately was allowed to stand. This didn’t take away from the performance of the seconds with Medic April Diviney receiving player of the match in her inspiring final game for the club.

The following game saw Manchester first team, with a superb combination of Krista Enziano and Jodi May as shooters, take an easy win again Liverpool 1st. Manchester looked like they had something to prove after a seemingly disappointing season that saw them saved from relegation in their final game. Recent training had proven successful and set plays and passing through the court made Liverpool look unorganised and weak. With Captain Sarah Hopkins setting a shining example in defence the team cruised to victory with a 43-28 win. Katie Coates was rewarded for her hard work and fight as centre with player of the match and will look to lead the team next year after the exits of Enziano, May and Hopkins who will be greatly missed by the club.

After their unfortunate defeat to Liverpool, Manchester 2nds came out stronger and had to endure another close encounter against Leeds 2nd who, after beating Liverpool by double score, seemed a hard team to beat. Defenders Faye and April gave a resilient performance whilst an energised Milly MacManus in centre court lead with passion to ensure a victory in her final performance for the team. Player of the match went to Rosie Culkin Smith whose consistent shooting combined with quick thinking and movement made her stand out in sadly her last performance also.

The 1st then had to win against their bogey team Leeds, after losing to them twice in the league, to retain the Christie Cup title. They did this in style. Fresher’s Abbie, Paris and Sophia performances gave hope for a successful forthcoming season whilst club captain Lauren Palmer stood strong against her pushy opponent to ease the ball out of defence. Their victory saw Krista Enziano take player of the match with an almost infallible shooting performance showing just why she’s Northern Thunders number 1.

Those who played their final matches for the university had performances they should all be proud of and their honourable exits were made even sweeter by retaining the title of netball Christie Cup Champions.